Thread: Grand MA Catalyst and Artnet

Hybrid View

on the pixelmad show i just did, the grand ma came up on the artnet HUD, and we were able to communicate directly over ethernet, no artnet hubs required.

Dont know what version of the software the grandma was.

Im told Grandma v3.4 worked directly with pixelmad.

As I understand the Grandma can link through artnet to the catalyst in version v4.

I am going to be using a couple of NSPs and consoles linked together as well as 3 catalyst's link through Artnet. Plus, I am going to be using a 2 artnet boxes to drive pixellines through the Catalyst. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a good way to set this up and/or pros or cons to trying this.

Thanks,

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Stiney3
    As I understand the Grandma can link through artnet to the catalyst in version v4.

I am going to be using a couple of NSPs and consoles linked together as well as 3 catalyst's link through Artnet. Plus, I am going to be using a 2 artnet boxes to drive pixellines through the Catalyst. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on a good way to set this up and/or pros or cons to trying this.

Thanks,

Aaron
    as long as you get the right ip address range sticking to 2.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x for all devices - using artnet is mostly foolproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiney3

I am going to be using a couple of NSPs and consoles linked together as well as 3 catalyst's link through Artnet.

You might want to check with MA about this..... The NSPs run on MAnet, which must be a 100baseT line, while artnet runs at 10baseT. Unless you have two seperate ethernet outputs on the GrandMA (which some of the newer ones do) you might have problems with this.

an ethernet switch which can handle 10BT and 100BT will take care of any ethernet speed changes required between computers and artnet boxes, or down any backbone link.

http://www.netgear.com/products/busi..._switch_sb.php

I run artnet at Gigibit ethernet or over airport to a switch.
    it also runs over fibre.

only the connection between the artnet box and final switch needs to run at 10BT.

i dont know anything about specific protocol issues with grandma desks.

----

for example you can use a g5 with gigabit ethernet turned on for say - file sharing - and use artnet at gigabit ethernet speeds down the same link - as long as you use an ethernet switch which will convert ethernet to 10BT to connect to the artnet box.
    Ethernet switches will try to maintain the full speeds of all the connections. they have buffers.
    they also have routing tables to route data only to devices that that are active down a link.

That sounds right. I have used a grandma with a NSP and artnet before. The switch changed the speed to a 10baseT for the Artnet box but left the rest of the net work running at a 100baseT.

I guess it depends on the size of your show. I have had significant problems trying to do this on shows in the past. It wasn't an issue of 10 vs 100, I know that switches take care of this. It was the fact that the GrandMA only had one ethernet port, and talkign to the NSPs and Artnet at the same time became an issue. Of course, for me sometimes just NSPs even slow down significantly due to the sheer amount of traffic on the line. Your mileage may vary, this is just what I have experienced in the past.
    Besides the fact that once your show reaches a certain size, you cannot use the artnet output or built in DMX ports on the GMA, and have to use NSPs.

I just had GrandMA and catalyst running in my office for training yesterday... (and connected to the internet....)

GrandMA was set to default IP address = 192.168.0.49

I have a DCHP server which gives out address range 2.0.0.2 - 2.0.0.100 subnet 255.0.0.0 - and catalyst mac was set to auto

Patched the corrected version of the Catv3 profile in the GrandMA (download it from the MA user forum... the one on the desk was wrong. I will post the best one here later... might re-write it too)

Everything was connected via gigabit switches - dont worry about the 10baseT speed of artnet - switches sort it out - its not an issue!

Checked Catalyst Artnet viewer HUD - and my input was there! - simple. Patch the layers to the universe that the artnet from your Grand MA appears...(in blue when you change the value)

Note: - Artnet boxes and catalyst doesnt always appear in the GrandMA search screen... However - If you enter the information manually on the GrandMA DMX slot - i.e subnet 0 universe 1 - then it will work.

Im a little confused how GrandMA was able to communicate - especially as the IP addresses were in different ranges - MA = 192.. and Cat and the rest of the network = 2.. but it did. Any suggestions to explain this would be apriciated!....

However - hope this helps to show that it IS possible - with no extra artnet or DMX hardware required. Just a switch and 2 x RJ45 cables

S