Quote Originally Posted by samsc
You dont need to sync different computers together, because they playback accurately at 25fps or 30fps - unless the drives have to do too much.
Software is designed for accurate playback of movies - as long as your drives are fast enough.

Im at eurovision in istanbul + turkey + and we have 8 ( eight ) g5s outputting onto a single huge seemless video wall..
And there is only a very tiny difference between movies.
movies playback at the correct time - not using the 'sync' function.
But we may have to use it with certain movies where image continuity is critical.
You really would notice it in this type of environment.

----

Audio - in the professional environments that this software is used in - is a huge can of worms - that i have addressed before.
It is something i have been doing for years in my show control stuff, i do not feel comfortable having high end support one more feature right now.

---
If you want to sync to a professional audio source such as yamaha or other hard disc playback units then you use the midi time code sync function that is in catalyst.
I have used this on shows.
Thanks for you're reply,

However, I have done a show recently with two servers and two DL1's. There where two moving screens, so each screen a DL1. Finally the screens roll together to a wide screen. The movie for this consists of two movies, a left movie and a right movie. They have to be played within the frame accurate, most of the time this was the case, but offcourse during the performance there was a frame or a few frames difference wich offcourse can be seen. The only way then to sync exactly is by using the sync option, right??

FYI, both movies were started simultaniously by a hog, the hog was started through showcontrol wich also started a harddisk DOREMI for the sound.