Thread: H.264 Codec, Wow

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by litemover
    Crap, I knew it was too good to be true.

The preservation of color was beautiful. Do you think that it might still be a good codec to use if all videos were being played back linearly but looped?

Christian Choi
    codecs that use interframe compression will work - if used in certain ways.

i mean mpeg2 works - but just not as well. and you will not get predictable playback performance.
    And they wont play backwards very well. that kind of thing

video conferencing

this thing seems to be designed to do video conferencing

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    this thing seems to be designed to do video conferencing
    Can do, they were displaying it as a phone movie codec, a streaming codec, and a professional HD codec. They had one g5 running the Troy trailer full screen on a 23" cinema display 1080p and on another they had 720p, 480 and video phone resolution simultaneously decoding on the G5's internal hardrive, again very good quality.

Will be interesting to see how it does when it comes out.

Christian

Quote Originally Posted by litemover
    Can do, they were displaying it as a phone movie codec, a streaming codec, and a professional HD codec. They had one g5 running the Troy trailer full screen on a 23" cinema display 1080p and on another they had 720p, 480 and video phone resolution simultaneously decoding on the G5's internal hardrive, again very good quality.

Will be interesting to see how it does when it comes out.

Christian
    all going in the forwards direction.....all interframe compression codecs have to assume the uniform flow of time or movie data in the forwards direction.

If I could get great HD color sampling with good compression and decoding speed, I'd use it, if only for going forward.

Christian

An h264 report.

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...dtv_recording/

This really probably isnt going to be great in catalyst - but maybe cell processors will process this stuff really fast?

Lightbulb H264 Results

Codec is truly amazing. It takes a lot of proccessing power to encode these files as well as power to decode them but here are some results along with a test file.

This file was encoded at 50% quality automatic keyframing

It started as a 1.89 gigabyte file and turned out as a 7.8mb file. Judge for yourself how good the quality is. It's amazing to me.

This is a 1080p file 30fps.
    Equip:
    dual 2.5 G5
    Seagate 160 boot drive
    Firmtek 1e4 external card in slot 4
    4 raptors in a zero striped array
    Tiger os with qt7 pro
    Radeon x800xt Mac
    Ramps up slowly to 28fps

Will play backward, random, but it slows down the performance. Every time you change files, it ramps up, same with play modes.

If this could be worked on, Hidef files in H264 would be really space saving.

This is my initial report.
    h264 testfile