I am still getting up to speed on conversion techniques and best formats, however the computer is a loaner and the show goes up tomorrow, so it may be a moot point anyhow.

I will pass on the version info as you requested Richard (later tonight), but I guess what my question really boils down to is this:

How does Catalyst play back movies at 'recorded speed'? Is this speed based off of the processor, the computer clock, voodoo witch science?

I completely understand the qualms about the processor speed and dual outputs. Although I am aware that the processing of a black second display will have some effect on the computer's speed, I have not had any problems, and I am quite happy with the results.

During the cues in question, I am only running one layer of video. I have tried using the play speed to lock in the speed at which the video plays back in relation to the audio. When that didn't appear to be consistent, I checked the new manual and found the function pertaining to setting DMX address 8 (of the given layer) to 0. My interpretation of the manual was that this would play back the video at exactly 1x speed. I would tend to think that if there were processor issues (not enough power) I would see choppiness (as I have with layering intense effects on top of moving images.

So, although I am aware that I may be pushing my hardware a little bit, can anyone give me any tips as to why this is happening?

Does the channel 8 setting 0 really play back at 1x speed?

Thanks for your help,

Phil