Thread: Mixmappingprefs problem

Mixmappingprefs problem

I've programmed a show from scratch this week making use of some exact mapping. I saved and closed Catalyst after completing the details of the first Exact map. I then edited the mixmappingprefs XML file to added another mix, which I've all done before but catalyst then kept crashing when trying to load up. When I took the mixmappingprefs XML file out of the Catalyst folder Catalyst would load.
    I just thought I'd edited the file incorrectly and so when through procedures to find my mistake. However It seemed when I added more than 3 mix types into one exact map Catalyst would generally crash. I say generally because the odd time it would load and so I then took the mixmappingprefs XML file out of the folder whilst Catalyst was still open to let Catalyst save a fresh file. It's still not opening every time though.

I just concluded I'd written something odd into the file which I just couldn't find until yesterday - I opened a show that was toured earlier this year, of which I had no problems at all. I couldn't get Catalyst to open the show at all yesterday unless I took out the mixmappingprefs XML file from the catalyst folder again. Today I looked at the mixmappingprefs XML file changed the <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> line to <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>and saved the file with UTF 16 encoding - Catalyst opened fully. I don't know if this helped or not, or just a bit of luck but at least I opened the show - we tour again next week.

The only difference is I'm now running on Sierra, a bad mistake possibly. I'm running Catalyst 561

If I only have the mixmappingprefs in the catalyst folder on startup they'll load fine.

I thought I'd attach the file, any help would be appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Barret; 01-12-2016 at 07:22 PM.

So just to confirm -
    When you changed from UTF-8 to UTF-16 it worked ok?

I've been reading some discouraging things about UTF-8 and Sierra
    Not sure it its directly related though

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

I think now that changing to UTF-16 was just a coincidence - my work around at the moment is to open catalyst and let the Exact mapping load in. Then remove the mix mapping prefs file from the folder and save all prefs in catalyst.
    However it's really hit and miss, I may have to go through this process (replacing the newly created mix mapping prefs with the original that has all the exact mapping info). However, when it finally saves i know it'll be fine from then on until I try close down and try open it all again.
    I know there's been a couple of responses saying their having the same problem - I would guess it's really straight forward for anyone running sierra to see the problem unless I've got some odd conflict going on.
    Also, yes, This was all done again this morning running 10.12.3

Another show - more exact maps - still the same problem - i'm now on 10.12.3 - Still no reply from the developer

this little video shows the issue:

www.ventmedia.co.uk/temp/catalyst_crash.mp4

Barret

Don't get grumpy about this!
    Its an OS issue - not a Catalyst issue.

What Mac are you using?
    I Suggest that you use OS 10.9.5 as it seems the most stable given the choice of 10.9.5/10.10.x/10.11.x/10.12.x

If you have no other option - contact me

Regards

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

so apple breaks something in their very latest os release!

something that never caused any issue before! on any OS release!

of course thats my mistake!

of course running apples very latest os - on a show is always the best thing to do!

you will of course need to run a different OS - if this is causing a problem

It's quite sad that frustration is seen as grumpiness. If it came over that was I will apologise, however, this was meant to be a ‘discussion’ in a bugs report thread. The thread was started back in December following another thread about any known issues in Sierra.
    Richard, it's taken until now for a response (albeit a sarcastic one). I'm not blaming you for anything, I was simply trying to get a response so I could try and move forward. I have been trying to work out if it's an issue with my set-ups or if it's a common issue, or even possibly if it's an issue that would be looked into by yourself - this all came about as I went into purchasing new Mac book pros for touring overseas at the beginning of the new year. I'm kind of locked into the OS.

On the positive side , once Catalyst is up and running it's solid, it's just getting it there and it's only the mix mapping prefs thats an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Barret View Post
    It's quite sad that frustration is seen as grumpiness. If it came over that was I will apologise, however, this was meant to be a ‘discussion’ in a bugs report thread. The thread was started back in December following another thread about any known issues in Sierra.
    Richard, it's taken until now for a response (albeit a sarcastic one). I'm not blaming you for anything, I was simply trying to get a response so I could try and move forward. I have been trying to work out if it's an issue with my set-ups or if it's a common issue, or even possibly if it's an issue that would be looked into by yourself - this all came about as I went into purchasing new Mac book pros for touring overseas at the beginning of the new year. I'm kind of locked into the OS.

On the positive side , once Catalyst is up and running it's solid, it's just getting it there and it's only the mix mapping prefs thats an issue.
    apple seems to have broken something in 10.12.3 -
    its a miracle - quite honestly they only seem to have broken tiny things -

this particular problem only shows up in that os - as far as i can tell-

it will have nothing to do with exact maps -

it sometimes takes apple 6 months to fix things they break -

if you have a working system - and something breaks - and it does - and will continue to do
    you have to work through the changes that have been made

r

Barret

Richard may not have replied initially, but I discussed this with you here, in private, and in another thread in December.
    I suggested that you don't use 10.12.x if possible and that the problem was being investigated.

There's nothing more I can add until apple release any updates and we re-test.

I refer to my previous comment a and posts - and suggest that you try to use 10.9.5 where possible

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by Mr_P; 27-03-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    Simon Pugsley