Thread: Missed RS232

Missed RS232

Hi,

I have a v4 main and backup system programmed on presets, triggered by MSC. Currently both main and backup are outputting identical serial to the projectors at the same time. Once possibly twice I have had a missed shutter open cue on one of the units. I have heard this could be because of the dual serial output.

Any thoughts? Ideally would turn serial on and off as part of the main/backup switch.

T

rs232 is susceptible to any kindof electrical or ground interference in any system-

absolutely not recommended to use rs232 for more than a few feet. unless you have boxes which are able to transmit the signal over long distances using a differential or balanaced signal

Quote Originally Posted by Trench117 View Post
    Hi,

I have a v4 main and backup system programmed on presets, triggered by MSC. Currently both main and backup are outputting identical serial to the projectors at the same time. Once possibly twice I have had a missed shutter open cue on one of the units. I have heard this could be because of the dual serial output.

Any thoughts? Ideally would turn serial on and off as part of the main/backup switch.

T

Quote Originally Posted by Trench117 View Post
    Hi,

T
    How are you transmitting the RS232?
    If over TCPIP, does the Serial server allow multiple client connections?
    Is the serial command specifically OPEN with a separate command for CLOSE?
    (some projectors use the same command to open and close - so you could see what might happen if you are sending 2 commands…)

(assuming TCPIP serial server)
    Personally - I would only use ONE Mac at a time to send the command…

Probably test to see what happens if you send 2 commands at exactly the same time.
    Are they ignored? received sequentially?
    Only way of knowing is to test…

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

It was transmitted using a netcom server into a Voyager Fibre TX/RX. It was specific open and close command for panasonic projectors.

I did a test with only one mac outputting for a show and still had a missed command. For the sake of the show I switched to HTTP commands which has resolved the issue. I can only imagine at this stage it was something to do with the serial on the PJ end or the voyagers. I swapped all the other serial cable and the port of the serial server.

D

**I should also mention it was always the same projector!!**