Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: working configuration of catalyst server, need tip

Question working configuration of catalyst server, need tip

Tomorrow I must consider to make a decision between catalyst software and hippotizer for my main job (I must take), so I need to know If someone have properly working configuration of catalyst software with right hardware that do not crush with normal working like on Mac Pro 4.1 or 3.1 revision. May be some one got tested configuration that works fine.

the core of the system is the top mac pro 5.1: 12 core xeon 64gb ram dual d700, i think properly working sonnet extender with sonnet ssd - if some one can advice more faster pci-e ssd w/o nvme that normally works; also working properly video in (aja, datapath, matrox may be something else?) at least with 2 HD SDI. I hope it would be mac os 10.9.4.

e.g. for my today experience I got top mac pro 5.1 with 10.10.2 mac os, with a lot of problem on working with any type of catalyst software. (peripherals: sonnet extender; decklink quad (more than 2 input don't work), intel p3700 (not seeing by mac os), as phoenix and lfg (not work at all)) too much crush etc.

Thanks in advance for real configuration not theoretical.

Quote Originally Posted by faceoff View Post
    e.g. for my today experience I got top mac pro 5.1 with 10.10.2 mac os, with a lot of problem on working with any type of catalyst software. (peripherals: sonnet extender; decklink quad (more than 2 input don't work), intel p3700 (not seeing by mac os), as phoenix and lfg (not work at all)) too much crush etc.
    decklink quad: decklink driver problem
    intel ssd p3700? : theres a super fast ssd inside that mac pro- why?
    phoenix and LFG? don't work on 10.10 - needs driver update

too much 'crush'?? what you trying to do?
    for non-theory - you have to indicate your file type - how many movies? what size output screen?

so I ask for working conf (may be some1 hasn't problem), I cannot wait until blackmagic or active silicon write a new driver and ask my employer to wait with me . About pdf, i will send to dropbox and then link to you via email (update: send ).

About crush is in on 466 thread: s-> add video files to library -> a-> scan files -> crush; convert 1st times -> normal -> 2nd times -> crush; and few more scenario to crush, i don't remember it all.

it all works!
    - even mac book air works - you dont need a top end mac pro

depends entirely on what you trying to do-
    and i cant figure that out from the information you have supplied
    what files you have?
    what codec they using? who supplied them?

top end mac pro is only core:
    I got various scenario of tv show: some of the hardest for hardware is 12 full hd layer, with 2 incoming HD SDI stream, plus about 12 layer for various res video. All video I convert to icod before starting a realtime tv show, and when offline show I convert it due recording, because sometime i receive it due recording of a tv show. PDF files from latest tv show with configuration I will send to you via forum email, with dropbox link inside.

top end mac pro is only core:
    I got various scenario of tv show: some of the hardest for hardware is 12 full hd layer, with 2 incoming HD SDI stream, plus about 12 layer for various res video. All video I convert to icod before starting a realtime tv show, and when offline show I convert it due recording, because sometime i receive it due recording of a tv show. PDF files from latest tv show with configuration I will send to you via forum email, with dropbox link inside.
    ok - so the screens you have connected are:

one datapath at 4k/30Hz and a 2.5k/60hz screen
    these screens dont have compatible refresh rates- why you doing this to start?
    what outputs you trying to get? 25fps? 30fps?

Datapath x4:
    Resolution: 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Adapter Type: Apple Mini DisplayPort To Dual-Link DVI Adapter Adapter Firmware Version: 1.03
    PA272W:
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440 @ 59 Hz Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888) Display Serial Number: 47106723TW Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Connection Type: DisplayPort

It's my datapath at home, that going from work where I must send Full HD 60HZ, at work another one it 3840*2160 @ 25hz and NEC PA272B is my working screen with presets etc (at work I got 30 inch HP with 2560*1600 also 60HZ). And why its not compatible if they multiples of each other.

All worked perfectly with my old one catalyst server based on 10.6.8 with gtx285 with the same resolution with crushes but it will be about 1-2 time in a few month. So I think output resolution is not a cause of crushes and can't load my video cards for 100%.

It's my datapath at home, that going from work where I must send Full HD 60HZ, at work another one it 3840*2160 @ 25hz and NEC PA272B is my working screen with presets etc (at work I got 30 inch HP with 2560*1600 also 60HZ). And why its not compatible if they multiples of each other.

All worked perfectly with my old one catalyst server based on 10.6.8 with gtx285 with the same resolution with crushes but it will be about 1-2 time in a few month. So I think output resolution is not a cause of crushes and can't load my video cards for 100%.
    full HD 60Hz output? 1080p60?
    datapath doesnt do that-
    you using dathpath to convert 30Hz to 60Hz?

what did you do with gtx 285? - exact config

datapath do that it 4output works on 50Hz or 60Hz multiply to input 4k@25Hz or 4k@30Hz. Nad of corse I switch on catalyst software playback from 25fps to 30fps and back.
    My old one cat is: 2*4core xeon 12Gb ram GTX285 with 1 GB vram SSD 128Gb and HDD 1Tb. How crushes or whatever depends from output refresh rates and resolution? Or you trying to say me that D700 cannot handle 4k+2,5K resolution?

I had experience with same refresh rate at second output (if you means that 2 output must be at same refresh rate): its only affect on a new mac pro (on old one same load stable at any combination of refresh rate):
    monitor datapath in load
    2.5k@60 4k@30 8-50% (various)
    2.5k@60 4k@25 10-30-60-90~100% (spasmodically)
    2.5k@60 fHD@50 10-40% (various)
    2.5k@60 fHD@60 8-40% (various)
    fHD@50 4k@25 3-5%
    fHD@60 4k@30 3-5%

So GTX285 better work than D700 , and this problem only appear on cat software (and no drop frame, all video playback at 25fps and 30fps stably) strange effect. Now I going to try datapath in 30Hz out 50Hz :/
    Last edited by faceoff; 09-02-2015 at 08:24 PM.

datapath do that it 4output works on 50Hz or 60Hz multiply to input 4k@25Hz or 4k@30Hz. Nad of corse I switch on catalyst software playback from 25fps to 30fps and back.
    My old one cat is: 2*4core xeon 12Gb ram GTX285 with 1 GB vram SSD 128Gb and HDD 1Tb. How crushes or whatever depends from output refresh rates and resolution? Or you trying to say me that D700 cannot handle 4k+2,5K resolution?
    trying to unpick this…. you mixing up loads of things in one go… you got to be careful with this stuff

one thing at a time:

what outputs you do on gtx285? 4k? 2.5K? what screen sizes and refresh rates?