Thread: 4 outputs from Mac Pro

4 outputs from Mac Pro

I'm trying to setup four separate outputs using Catalyst v5 on my new Mac Pro but I'm struggling to do so. The four outputs are connected (i've tried every output variation with the thunderbolt connectors. The OS recognises the outputs as does Catalyst but catalyst is only allowing 3 outputs (the resolution on the control window is the same on output two as output one even though monitor catalyst says it is assigned to a different output).
    The attached image probably explains better.

Can you get 4 separate outputs? I'm aware the thunderbolts and HDMI are configured to 3 Buses

I am testing on monitors instead of projectors but I can't image this would make a difference
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are the two outputs mirrored in the os?
    is Catalyst set to the same index on those two outputs?
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

Thanks for the reply Paul.

The screens defiantly aren't mirrored. Can you explain 'setting the same index'.

The monitors for output where set to 1920x1080 60tz (the gui screen) and the other three 1024x768 x 75hz, but as can be seen from the second output in the control panel in the screen shot the resolution is reading 1920x1080 @60hz, the same as output one.

I take it the four outputs is achievable and i got something wrong - can you confirm this

cheers

Barret

I have a similar problem , video card radeon 7970. The outputs of the system is located . But in the Catalyst does not define the fourth exit at the third output resolution displays , but when you try to go it appears your desktop with a second exit . That is, in fact, it only works with two outs .
    Nosce te ipsum

5. What kind of adapter cables are you running to your screens? Thunderbolt to ??

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

I did make use of both thunderbolt to Dvi and thunderbolt to vga - could that be it?!
    I'll have to wait until after Xmas to find out

ok index I referred to is found in the attached image, yes you can definitely have four outputs. My screenshot shows 3 because I only had three displays connected when I took the screenshot.

You said you were using the new mac pro? it's best not to use the HDMI connector (it counts as a passive connector on bus 0), use all adaptors spread across the three busses.
    You need to use active adaptors, but as the OS is showing four displays I guess you're doing that. You can have one passive adaptor, (the apple thunderbolt to VGA are passive) but I would recommend making them all active.

The only active adaptor from Apple is the dual link DVI one, which is an expensive road to go down. I use the sapphire ones, they seem to do the job.

Catalyst picks up the resolutions from the OS, so it's kinda weird that it should display a different resolution.

Looks like you're not mirroring as you say?.

Currently I'm sitting in the middle of the countryside enjoying some southern hemisphere sun with a beersie beside me, so can't hook up multiple monitors and check if setting output 2 to the same index as output 1 changes the display of the resolution?. (I don't think it does) obviously each output should have its own index number.

Do you get four independent displays outside of Catalyst? can you drag a finder window through all four monitors for example?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

All about connecting multiple monitor to new Mac pro http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202801

Problem might be your TB-VGA/TB-DVI adapters.
    I used the active TB-dual link DVI and had been able to run up to 6 displays.

At the moment I´m using 3 Outputs on a tour without any problems with the original apple-adapters (1920x1200 50Hz, 1920x1080 50Hz, 1024x768 50Hz)

I've finally got back in the office from xmas and managed to try this out again - I hooked two Apple Dual Link DVI's and a standard Apple Mini Display port to DVI - Initially I had the same issue but as Paul suggested (thanks Paul) changing the DisplayIndex in the control window sorts it out!!
    So simple but I swear I lost some hair over this!
    I've got some more active DVI adaptors in the post, just for piece of mind.
    Thanks for the responses with this