Thread: Parent and Child Mixes

Parent and Child Mixes

I just finished a tour with Bombay Bicycle Club where i had 7 sub mixes and a large mix window behind. If the projector got nudged, i had to move each mix independently. Could there be a function to assign a mix (In my case mix 1) as the parent and then assign child mixes (mix 2-8) to follow its the top and left positions?

Hope this makes sense!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey,

You can kind of do this if you have enough spare layers by using mixes as your layer source and rendering all the other mixes offscreen.

I haven't tested it with keystoning etc and would have to test it out before telling you the exact steps but if it works it should do what you need.

Oh, ok. Not seen that. Will have a look into it. Thank you

Update
    Just tried that and it works to a point, in this production we have to use the curved mix setting and that does not carry through to the use mix in the layer.

Its also a long way around, to assign parent and child would be so much simpler.

If it is just top and left offsets you want to change then why not use exact mapping then set the points that you want to change to be mapped from a general controller. You can use your mouse to affect the GC or map a Artnet channel to it.

GC and exact mapping can be quite powerful.

Well its the top and left of the mix window itself, but each curved mix needs to be edited to fit the circles. What i failed to mention was that there are actually 16 mixes in total as there are two projectors covering the whole set. 8 on one output and 8 on the other (x4).

Not used Exact mapping yet, seen it in v5 and will be playing with it very soon. Im guessing it wont allow warping for each 'mix' or 'map window'.. also we need the content outside of the circle to be alpha. (see image). This is set by a AB Comp on the playback layer.

The tour has completed now, but this is something i wanted to raise for the future.

AB comp will work with Exact Mapping, and you can warp each map type within the map window mix. Exact Mapping will do exactly what you're asking I believe, except the curved screen warping (i.e. with beziers)

I've attached a rough set-up I tried last night

Awesome, getting into Exact mapping as we speak.
    For this project we needed the full warping of curved because the two projectors are not always projecting (a) together or (b) from the front.

Thanks for your example.