Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IP Address issue

I have had similar issues with the thunderbolt/ ethernet adapter and a retina MBP. Solution for me was a restart with everything connected before restart. Something with accidentally disconnecting thunderbolt while plugged in and having to replug it, cat didn't like it.
    I know USB ports are a scarce resource on a MBP but I have had good success with USB3 adapters as well, they don't seem to come unplugged quite as easily.

Although reading this thread has brought up a question. In the past I have always set up 2 networks for catalyst. One for artnet and one for sync data, remote desktop, etc.. I was led to believe that the sync data was quite bandwidth heavy and should not be on the same network as artnet. With the new networking setup in Mavericks, how can I get catalyst to only output to one ethernet adapter or the other. In past versions it seemed as though whatever was at the top of the service order would be the one I wanted for sync data and artnet would just be inbound so that was fine to be the other one. Do we need to always be looking for en0 and make sure that is the broadcast network IP we want?
    Does pixel mad then always output on that adapter as well?

Nothing has changed in that respect - it is still possible to use 2 networks.
    Catalyst used to show the IP address of the network adaptor at the top of the service order - now it doesn't due to the OS - but that doesn't affect any functionality
    Just ignore what is says at the top of the Catalyst Control window (unless you are using en0)

Artnet:
    Artnet is a broadcast protocol - so the sending device will 'broadcast' to all receivers with a network adaptor with a valid IP address in the correct range.
    If unicast - its point to point and the destination is specified by the source anyway.

When transmitting from PixelMad, you should ensure that you select the correct broadcast IP range (i.e. 2.255.255.255 - not 255.255.255.255 if using multiple networks.)

Sync Data:
    There is a 'remote' drop-down menu in the catalyst control window allowing you to choose the IP address range and subnet through which to transmit.
    Again - so long as you setup a network adaptor with the correct IP address and subnet, the network traffic will be transmitted though the correct adaptor (network interface)

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk