Thread: Mapping slices

Mapping slices

I keep coming back to a problem I first tried to sort last year - I'm using the keystone option on a multitude of mixes to map the content over a complex set of which the surfaces I'm projecting onto are all varied sizes.
    Previously, to get this to work as easily as possible when touring, I had to go through the process of rendering out the artwork for each surface separately so that when I then drop the artwork in it will fit the mix corners exactly. However the rendering is extremely time consuming and due to having to assign at least two layers to each mix eats away at the layers I can assign.

Is theres a way of working more in the way of Madmapper? i.e I have a rendered montage of all the artwork on layers 1 and 2, for example, and then pipe this through to all the mixes which I then just shift the image around in the mix to reveal the artwork i need for that projected surface? Or to put it another way to take slices out of the main artwork

To initially answer my own question - I know this is possible quite easily to assign the artwork to any mix, and then to move the artwork around within the mix but the process of trying to get the artwork accurately scaled to the different mixes of different ratios is a nightmare. I'm hoping theres an option that keeps the aspect ratio to the original format one I assign the keystone option to the mix, but I'm overlooking it.

Looking over the forum I can't help but wonder if the elusive 'exact mapping' feature that has been mentioned in a couple of threads can do this - is that the case? and if so is there a chance I could give it a try?

Barret

m466 on Mavericks
    Last edited by Barret; 16-06-2014 at 03:55 PM.

I have been wondering the same this. I was going to start a topic until I saw yours. I run into a slightly different problem though. I'll use my last show for example. I was using a 9.375mm LED product to makeup columns. The columns were 64px by 640px. Where the problem was was the columns near the end of the images. I didn't have enough shift of the x offset to get the content correctly mapped on there. So in the end I had to trick the Catalyst and make those columns 256px wide, and then the content would make it.

I would love to see an exact mapping so my 64px mix window would be 64px of 1920px, or however big your content is.

I agree that this has always been a somewhat cumbersome part of dealing with the mix windows, when you change to keystone mix or curve mix, you get a square area to deal with, so I always end up with .74 or .76 for aspect and about 9.58 for scale to make it 16:9 and somewhat close to the same size as using say flat locked to corners, which seems rather arbitrary to me, I can't figure out why the numbers wouldn't be nice and ? Then I can't type these values in again anywhere else, or save them in case you accidentally hit reset geometry... Curve mix is even more interesting as there isn't even a value for zoom, you just kinda eyeball it.

I haven't really played with mad mapper too much, but I have played with exact map a little bit and it is also not what I would call quick and easy since you have to type in some numbers, and drag around corners for others. No matter what it seems to take a while.

In curved or keystone you also have presets for 16:9
    Also 3D modells are possible.
    Exact mapping is working in private builds, get in touch with Richard.
    There will be a new public version in the summer I had been told which I guess will include exact map.
    Exact map does exactly what you are asking

Quote Originally Posted by mlorenz View Post
    In curved or keystone you also have presets for 16:9
    Also 3D modells are possible.
    I didn't know this function was available - where do i access it?

Quote Originally Posted by mlorenz View Post
    There will be a new public version in the summer I had been told which I guess will include exact map.

Thats the best news about Catalyst I've heard in a while!

In a curved mix you will find several presets available in the Mix Options under Recall Shape
    3D Modells: set the mix to Modell and load your obj-file in the Models folder
    Right-click on the Catalyst App, select Show Paket content, contents -> Resources -> Models

Thanks for the reply.
    I thought that I'd maybe overlooked some options within the keystone option in mixes.

As for 3d models, I've not managed to get it to work since I moved to m466 and mavericks. I remember playing with the option some time back but the few occasions I've had a look recently I get no joy, just a black screen when I choose 3d model. I can see the list of models I'm the options it I still get no joy.
    The models I use are exported from cinema4d as obj's, and I've tried a model folder in both the folder with the catalyst app and within the resources folder. The default models are the same - just black