Thread: MSC input from GrandMA2

MSC input from GrandMA2

Hi All,

I'm trying to use my GrandMA2 to trigger a cuelist on my Catalyst and backup catalyst, so they stay synched during the show.

I want to use MSC to trigger the cuelists, and I've connected my midisports2x2 to the catalyst and to the midi out on the console.

I've got communication, as I see a green light flash in the Midi Show control input trigger 2 when I press go on the console. But the cuelist doesn't move...

In the catalyst status window I can see data coming through when I have bytes selected, but not when I have commands selected.

Thanks for any input, I've been talking a bit with Richard about this, but I also thought it would be good to have on the forums, as I've found a lot of info, but not enough to figure this out...

thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Michael

Catalyst newb

The naming of cuelists and presets has to be very specific for MSC
    The naming in your cuelist picture is wrong - simply name with single numbers, no brackets, colons etc.
    Catalyst only requires the cue number to trigger - not the list or path.

Presets need a square bracket around the number and is not related the the actual preset number (but does make sense to follow the same...)
    [1] name

see zip file attached with a few examples:

MSC

To Trigger a preset or cue in a cuelist:
    send a MSC command 'GO 1'

GO 1:x:x
    Cue: List: Path
    Only the cue number is required

Set ID the same
    Types = All or Lighting

IN CATALYST
    Cues in cuelist must be numbered with just the number '1' with no other naming (or quotes)
    Presets should be names '[1] name optional'

For presets
    Set the MIDI device ID to the same as the sending controller

For Cuelists
    Set the MIDI device ID to the same as the sending controller
    Set the desired cuelist to control

(multiple cellists can be controlled using multiple MSC device ID's)
    Dont try and trigger a preset and cuelist via MSC at the same time - you may get conflicts since the MSC GO command is the same for both preset or cuelilst

Presets can be triggered by DMX/Artnet direct from the MA rather than MSC (and is probably more reliable)

Obviously - you could program everything from the console via DMX/Artnet and avoid the MIDI misery... much more flexible and faster approach!!!

S
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

I would love to program from the desk... But alas I was handed a ~1000 cue show all done from presets, and no time to reprogram via console...

Thanks for the command examples.

Richard fixed it for me, msc id has to be set to 127 for GMA2, and cues have to be labeled 1.000:201:1. That's cue 1, executor 201.

thanks again!

Michael

Catalyst newb

Yes, GrandMA2 is definitely that way, that you have to use 3 digit cue numbers even if you are not using anything but the first digit.
    I am also thinking using MSC is going to be painful. Trying to understand what happened. You have a show that has 1000 presets already built in catalyst and you just need to trigger them from the ma in order? Or do they jump around and go out of order all the time? Do you need the console for anything then? couldn't you just use the mouse and trigger everything in cat? Or is there very specific timing?
    If it is all timed out already in cat and all you need to do is trigger to timecode, maybe use something like Qlab and send a MTC timecode...

Or use the Trigger Preset Fixture?!

Its a rental show, and it came in with ~1000 cues already programmed, bringing up different presets in a random order...

I've been pressing spacebar to run the show in rehearsal, but was looking for a way to trigger my main Catalyst and backup machine simultaneously, so that if my main machine crashes, I can just use my spark d-fuser and have my backup machine running and in the proper cue all ready to go.

I couldn't use the trigger preset fixture, as this show tours without an MA and I didn't want to abandon the cuelist, in case it gets updated and used in the next venue.

So I've got MA sending msc to both machines, and everything is working perfect.

Michael

Catalyst newb