Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Layers across multiple mixes

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    For about 5 years now I have been stacking mixes.
    I would like to do this in my current setup as well. But I have 5 screens onstage. Three of which are on Cat 1 and the other two on Cat 2. I dont think there is a way to get a mix to span all 5, I guess I would have to have 1 mix span the first three screens and a second mix span the last two screens. Then somehow use offsets to make that look right?

Thanks for all the comments.

Locked to corners?

I use a setup that is similar since I have noticed when using offsets, if you do things like Z rotation across borders you run into problems. I like the idea of having mix 3 in as a flood all mix window but I have noticed the same thing Matt said. Mix 3 in this case would have to be flat locked to corners, not flat locked aspect ratio in order to be transparent. Is there a specific reason for this? I have always wondered.

If I remember correctly the Flat constant aspect ratio mix type works slightly differently to the other mix types in that it doesn't go via a secondary graphics buffer (I think that's correct)
    Hence you can't do some stuff with it that you can do with the other mix types.
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

Paul you are right!
    Flat constant aspect ratio, there is no calcualtions done... So thats why it is not transparent... Just in and out again...

One more question while I am thinking about it. I used a similar setup that todd had the other day where I had 3 LED walls. I had...
    Mix 3 - across all 3 screens
    Mix 4 - screen 1
    Mix 5 - screen 2
    Mix 6 - screen 3

Mix 4,5,6 are transparent and flat locked to corners.
    What I had was a situation where I wanted to put IMAG into one screen, say screen 3, (Mix 6), and leave content running in screen 1 and 2. I needed to fade in the IMAG while the content was running in the background.

The simplest way was to have something running in mix 3 across all 3 screens and then just bring up mix 6 over it.
    The problem though is when I would bring up mix 6 to something less than full intensity I would see a blend between the background Mix 3 and Mix 6.
    To try and fix this I put a layer of black at full in mix 6 "behind" the IMAG and "on top" of Mix 3. I would still see through mix 6 and see a blend of Mix 3 and Mix 6. My IMAG would get slightly "brighter" when this layer of black was added but it would not act as an opaque layer as I hoped. I even tried making it a mask and that didn't seem to work either.
    It would only work if put a scaled layer of black on Mix 3 on top of the video content and "behind" mix 6.
    Is there a better way of doing this or am I setting this up wrong for this situation.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Element View Post
    The simplest way was to have something running in mix 3 across all 3 screens and then just bring up mix 6 over it.
    The problem though is when I would bring up mix 6 to something less than full intensity I would see a blend between the background Mix 3 and Mix 6.
    That would be the expected result

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Element View Post
    To try and fix this I put a layer of black at full in mix 6 "behind" the IMAG and "on top" of Mix 3. I would still see through mix 6 and see a blend of Mix 3 and Mix 6. My IMAG would get slightly "brighter" when this layer of black was added but it would not act as an opaque layer as I hoped. I even tried making it a mask and that didn't seem to work either.
    It would only work if put a scaled layer of black on Mix 3 on top of the video content and "behind" mix 6.
    I thought that Blend Glitch C should fix this - but it doesn't...?
    So using Blend Glitch A (or B)

Try using custom colour effect: 'HSB Mix' on the IMAG layer in Mix 6 and reduce the brightness controller as necessary - it seems to work without making the image transparent...

S
    Last edited by Mr_P; 08-04-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

I will try it,
    thanks