Thread: Video Cards unseating

Video Cards unseating

Hi everyone, I have had to re-seat my video cards on several occasions due to rough shipping. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this. I was thinking about putting a piece of foam stuck to the door of the Mac Pro to apply a bit of pressure to the card hoping to make them more secure. Anyone care to share your thoughts on that? Good idea, bad idea?

Also, I have seen several Mac Pro setups with some kind of metal pieces that hold the Mac Pro into place. Little metal pieces that over lap the feet a little bit to hold it down. Anyone know where to get these things?

Thanks for any help guys. Matt

IMHO there is no substitute for decent flight casing. And that comes from years of working for HES in the old days (before Richard and I got the heave-ho), and several years of building Catalyst systems for rental.

Simon of SNP Productions sells decent ones:
    http://ccgi.snpproductions.plus.com/...lightcases.php

This style of flightcase, with shockmounted sleeve and then with foam to protect the Macs means that your chances of getting your Catalysts to sight with all the bits intact, and without invalidating your warranty or your cards rattling loose.

Hugh

3. Most of the flight case manufacturers can advise you on the shock mounting of computers - whether it be with foam or rubber mountings. Also, most have a solution for mounting Mac PRO's already and are usually very happy to customise so you end up with what you need.

Stage Sound Services in Cardiff have their own flight case manufacturing department - they have a large Catalyst stock and cases to fit every car/doorway/staircase etc. You can also get foam from them to fix machines in securely.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Thanks Hugh

We manufacture the 'metal pieces that hold the Mac Pro into place' for our flightcases
    (see picture attached)

let me know if you need any
    (or a case)

Simon

Last edited by Mr_P; 13-03-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Thanks Simon. Thats kind of what Im looking for. I think ill just have it made here in town by a metal shop. No need for international shipping on something like that. Thanks though.

You could always lay it on its side in foam like mine... I've never had any problems with cards unseating, as gravity holds them in.

Never had an issue is 5 years of mac pros all over the US in a well designed flight case and a cozy 2" of foam around the mac. I use a more rubbery closed cell foam that isnt so stiff as what you generally see. Also if you are referring to the actual GPU card and not an input card then your cards may not be installed properly as they should have a lock on them. This lock SHOULD keep them secure