Thread: Isolating sync groups and control question

Isolating sync groups and control question

I have 5 machines. 2 Primary(1A 2A) and 2 backups(3B 4B), 1 control(C).
    I have content that need to be frame synced on each pair of servers.
    I want to be able to copy the preset file from the primary to the backups without needing modification.
    I want all of the 4 servers to accept preset commands from the control machine or spyder

Is this possible? Is there a way to restrict the broadcast addresses of the primary and backup to keep the sync data to only that group? but still be able to get the command from C

What command does the catalyst program(C) send to the other instance(1A 2A 3B 4B) to run a preset? TCP/UDP ? Multicast? I know I can do a http command to one machine but what is the address to control multiple machines at once.

I would really like a way to reload the preset file without having to relaunch the application.

Hi RyWolf,
    in the remote on menu at the top of the control window you can set the broadcast subnet, so you could have each pair on different subnets.

As far as I'm aware the preset.txt file only contains preset info so providing you want the same presets on each machine then you can copy it from a master machine. You will have to close catalyst, copy the .txt file across and re-open catalyst.

I'm not sure what the command is. Is the control machine running catalyst? you can set up preset groups. In preferences set the remote preset ID for the remote machine and then in the cuelist of the control machine you can trigger a preset for a particular preset ID.

I know this doesn't totally answer your questions and you will need to do some testing, but I hope this helps

Paul
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

The solution I found was:
    Using ethernet port 1 of each pair with a crossover
    Pair 1: 192.168.0.x set to broadcast on range 192.x.x.x
    Pair 2 10.0.0.x set to broadcast on range 10.x.x.x
    Using ethernet port 2 to a hub
    All servers in ranger 2.0.x.x
    Set all servers to accept remote presets
    set 1A and 3B to broadcast sync
    set C to send preset sync commnands

It allows primary and backup to have independent sync pulse while accepting commands from the main controller across all servers.