Quote Originally Posted by Spam Butterfly
Maxxedia doesn't look like it has a lot of 'real time' control. Too much fiddling around with the GUI - not much control from the console.

I spoke to a dude from Case - the guys who make it - who said that the old DMX spec was a problem for them. It was really designed to be run on the Case, which can only handle 28 parameters in a fixture or something. It was horrendous to write the library. Zillions of channels across several fixtures.

Hugh
For my 5 cents...

I had the chance to play with the Maxedia beta system in Februari on a Corporate show in Belgium, and I must say it has all the 'real time' control you need on the DMX part. Being able to see what you are doing in the GUI is very inspiring when you create something.
Compared with the Eureka3D this Maxedia system is much more then just an 'effects box for lighting guys'. The Video people loved what I could create with the original footage they gave me to play with for the show. They coun't believe what I could create in a few seconds. They said they have to render long time to make something similar. And it was created 'on-site' while we were programming the lightcues.

The Eureka3D had too many channels for the Case to handle yes. They divided the channels into several fixtures. But isn't that the case on other media servers systems? I see no difference in that... the VL system that I saw at Frankfurt goes up to 250 channels or something? They made 15 fixtures. The VL-system looks like a copy of the old Eureka3D system.