Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eureka 3D

Eureka 3D

Anyone ever use this?

Martin Eureka 3D

Eureka 3D is a PC-based, DMX-controlled digital media server and real-time rendering engine that was created by Case Console, the Danish developer of the new Martin Maxxyz lighting console. Eureka 3D is aptly named; its focus is on 3D video effects. The operating system is Windows 98 SE, but an XP-embedded version is supposedly in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    Anyone ever use this?
    Yes, I have!

Bullen

Anyone ever use this?
    The new name is MAXXedia and are using PC as the old system.It can handles 20 layers but not in the same way as Catalyst.Two type of banks that can be crossfaded.

A cool thing is that it has a Waveform generator that can make "ripples" and "Waves" in realtime and you can add textures or clips on the surface and light refraction/specular light on it.

It works like this: a 3d room and your output is the camera(s) and you add
    3ds files that can be rotated and manipulated with sound or textures.
    A plug-in will later be made for importing custom 3ds model or text.
    Smoke can be added (fractal noise?)

3 dv inputs that has about same performance as Catalyst.
    thats all I know right know........

Quote Originally Posted by peppe
    It works like this: a 3d room and your output is the camera(s) and you add
    3ds files that can be rotated and manipulated with sound or textures.
    A plug-in will later be made for importing custom 3ds model or text.
    Smoke can be added (fractal noise?)

but is it effective from a graphics pov?

these lighting people dont understand they are working in a graphical medium.
    if fx dont work visually or dont look good they are worse than useless.

sometimes its as if the last 30 years of post-production, and the whole history of film-making and broadcast graphics never existed.

have they got to the stage to realise its not about 'cool fx'?

but is it effective from a graphics pov?

these lighting people dont understand they are working in a graphical medium.
    if fx dont work visually or dont look good they are worse than useless.

sometimes its as if the last 30 years of post-production, and the whole history of film-making and broadcast graphics never existed.

have they got to the stage to realise its not about 'cool fx'?
    I think NOT,but I can be wrong! The old Eureka had a UI that made me crying, this is not so much better.It had the speed and cool stuff but did not understand antialias or anything that had the word "quality" somewhere.
    But it was fun and loaded with "cool fx"

I think their business is fx and effects,not artistic design and hard work, I see Apple released Garageband and everybody can be musician,thats the story but maybe not the truth.

Still they listen and try to satisfy designers with smooth replays of clips and smooth and slow movements of objects and other stuff that often is critical,also the EX1 is what I was told almost the same thing as the old Eureka but with better performance and quality,(have not seen it yet).

But often the showbusiness is about effects,is it not?? It is up to us to keep the quality in the design and art!

Maxxedia doesn't look like it has a lot of 'real time' control. Too much fiddling around with the GUI - not much control from the console.

I spoke to a dude from Case - the guys who make it - who said that the old DMX spec was a problem for them. It was really designed to be run on the Case, which can only handle 28 parameters in a fixture or something. It was horrendous to write the library. Zillions of channels across several fixtures.

What I did like was a cuelist control, so you can run the Maxxedia without a console.

Another media server where the software guys jerk off on Open GL - not what is useful to the end user.

Hugh

This is how i see it as well. All the new mediaservers (martin, VL) focuses on 3D effects, virtual lighting and other strange things that i would think will not be used that much in real life.
    EX1-hardware looks great though..

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    This is how i see it as well. All the new mediaservers (martin, VL) focuses on 3D effects, virtual lighting and other strange things that i would think will not be used that much in real life.
    EX1-hardware looks great though..
    Hardware would look great with horns on it.
    Kindof like using a sledgehammer instead of a nutcracker.

I mean the problem is no harder than a playstation....
    And these guys need 350lbs of gear?

You can do this on a playstation/xbox.

What do they think the games industry is built on?

Its doing much better stuff than all these dodgy 'media servers' including catalyst.

The guys doing games are the geniuses.

This stuff is shite in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by peppe
    I think NOT,but I can be wrong! The old Eureka had a UI that made me crying, this is not so much better.It had the speed and cool stuff but did not understand antialias or anything that had the word "quality" somewhere.
    But it was fun and loaded with "cool fx"
    What I did like about it was the feature to be able to "Deform" stuff to sound input, that was really cool. But it was way to complicated to run, with diffrent movment path and so on.

Bullen

Quote Originally Posted by Bullen
    What I did like about it was the feature to be able to "Deform" stuff to sound input, that was really cool. But it was way to complicated to run, with diffrent movment path and so on.

Bullen
    i like that too.
    i was trying to do something like that on radiohead. never got enough time.
    did spectrum analysers and phase vectorscopes.