Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triggering Presets via UDP commands

Newcastle 10% ,London 70%, On the road 20%

Triggering Presets via UDP commands

Im sure its possible but haven't found a way yet, i am trying to integrate some catalyst systems with a bright sign system and was hoping that i can trigger a preset from the same UDP commands that the brightsign's use to trigger their playback?

Brightsign media players --> www.brightsign.biz/

Is this possible and if so where do i start?

Best

Andy

you cant trigger presets using an incoming UDP connection. presets can only be triggered by DMX, MIDI and the cue list.
    I had a brief look at those boxes, can you not go the other way round and send them a command from Catalyst?
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

Newcastle 10% ,London 70%, On the road 20%
    Hi Kiwi, thanks for a quick answer, thats a shame i thought there would be a clever way round to do this. The problem with getting Catalyst to send the UDP Command to the bright signs is i also have other Catalyst servers to trigger at the same time. Its a pretty big system and still in the early stages.

Thanks again

Andy

Don't know whether this is helpful, but you can trigger Catalyst via telnet commands or http:// commands.

http://x.x.x.x:8080/commands/?RunPreset=1

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the machine you wish to trigger.

Telnet:
    Start a telnet connection and...
    GET /commands/?RunPreset=2 HTTP/1.0

I guess the advantage of using UDP is 'connectionless' comms, but TCP/IP might work for your application.

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by AndyCoates View Post
    The problem with getting Catalyst to send the UDP Command to the bright signs is i also have other Catalyst servers to trigger at the same time. Its a pretty big system and still in the early stages.

Thanks again

Andy
    Hi Andy,
    You can trigger other catalyst machines at the same time. Make sure all your catalyst machines are on the same network, on the send machine enable "send preset commands" from the remote menu at the top of the control window. On the other catalyst machines enable "recieve preset commands" when a preset is run on the send machine the corrosponding preset on the recieve machine also runs.

I also forgot to say that you can trigger presets via the webserver. By sending the appropriate URL. -don't know if that's helpful or not.
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

Circling back around to this topic; is it possible to trigger the Cue List via UDP messages?

Not as far as I know (other than via Artnet).

Telnet and http:// are TCP and therefore require a connection to be established.
    UDP is 'connectionless'.

What kind of UDP data would you want Catalyst to be triggered with?

Hugh

I wanted to send ASCII text strings back from Pharos/Mosaic.

You can sent those by TCP/IP. The advantage of using TCP/IP for sending ASCII type info is that once the connection has been established it's 100% reliable with TCP/IP - UDP is fire and forget.

When I have done this in the past this is the way have done this with Pharos in the past.

Hugh

I tried playing with that but wasn't clear on what commands SAMSC was looking for.