Thread: Crash, custom settings?

Crash, custom settings?

Hi,
    My catalyst system crash when i try to shutdown(save). Im using Custom settings for X-offset on mix 3 and 4, im also using custom settings on blend % in mix 3 and 4
    this is happening on my main machine(mac pro 2009) in Catalyst 329_HD but nott om my laptopp (Catalyst 364_HD)

Do you have more than one System in your network or only one?
    What happens when you use an "empty" show? (new xml-files)

Quote Originally Posted by mlorenz View Post
    Do you have more than one System in your network or only one?
    What happens when you use an "empty" show? (new xml-files)
    i have 3 sytems in my show, im runing a rehearsal now and will try to create a new show in 1 hour.

check if the name for each catalyst in the network is different (catalyst control window top right corner, right to catalyst pm4 logo)
    after changing the name for each machine, store the preferences (save all preferences now), (force-) quit the applications and restart them

Looks like a file rights problem

I would guess that the application folder was copied to the server via file sharing and that the owner of the folder is other than the current catalyst user.
    So on shutdown the config files can´t be written resolving in a crash of the software and you losing all your setup...

Solution:
    Repair file rights / Give Catalyst user account full read/write access to catalyst folder.
    Olli
    ------
    Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany

A good rule of thumb is to keep the Catalyst Application OUT of the Applications Folder. My personal preference is to create a folder on the SSD where content will run with the name of the show. In a Subfolder of that I create a Catalyst Application Folder to put the App in. In another Subfolder, I place all the show specific content for that show. This way you can easily move, copy, or archive the entire thing.

I will also note that I do you stock content (huge library in fact). I keep that content on a separate SSD or at least in a separate folder on the main SSD.

The advantage of this is that if you move the disk between machines, literally a boot any everything works. Since the drive name never changes, the Library in Catalyst doesn't need to be re-added or scanned.

All of my machine's stock content drive are set to read-only (because they will never be edited) and have the same drive name in all machines. Once again this is because the Cat App will always see this in the library settings regardless of which machine the show is in.

Furthermore, I replicate all custom content to all machines on a show and also replicate all Cat App folders as well so that at any second, I can launch a backup to take over. The caveat with this is the same error you experienced where you have two machines on the same network with the same name and same ID (which causes one to crash when the save is initiated at shutdown).

FYI, if you force quit a frozen Cat App, you most likely lost your settings. I suggest frequent saving (I do 10 minutes on an alarm) and frequent restarts of the App (usually once an hour).

A trick for this is the restart Catalyst menu item in the Help menu
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised