Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat specs for a macbookpro

Cat specs for a macbookpro

Hi,
    working with mediaservers (except catalyst) for a couple of year, I think seriously to buy a catalyst software and run it on a Macbook pro to be able to provide a video service for local gigs. But as I'm a newbie with both mac and cat environment, I'm lookink for tips and answers about macbook specs ,and what would be the performances and the limits of the catatlyst with a macbook pro . I know that the limit would depend of the specs but as I said I look for tips.
    I plan to buy a 15,4 inches mac with a 2,4ghz intel i7. First question, is Lion really inconsistent with Cat ?
    Do I have to a get a Pro version cat or just a DV is enough ?
    I'm aware that I won't be able able to feed 10 projectors with a laptop but is a soft edge blending with 2 projectors is doable. Can I use HD contents, how many layers can I play at the same time without latency problems ?
    A matrox dual-head would be a good feature ?
    It's a bit a confused bunch of questions but you know ...
    Thanx for all your answers

First off make sure you get the model with the discreet ati gpu...6770 I believe... Also consider removing the optical drive and placing an ssd in its place for content playback. Hd is possible but I will not speak to how many layers other than to say more than 2 is possible with the correct hardware in my experience. Also... you CAN run Snow Leopard on one after jumping through some hoops. This has been my route and is working very well. You will need to compile or obtian a 10.6.8 image as it was never offered on a retail disk.

Hi,
    thanx for your answer. As the ssd are sitll expensive can I use one extra ssd drive for the system and run the cat, and one optical for the data ?
    Thanx

Hey Niko,

the system don't requires a SSD drive. You just need it for your Content folders. Where do you live? There a several online Computer stores that sell usable SSD drives which cost much less.

Greetz

you don't need an apple SSD for the system HD - just an SSD for the video content (which could be located in the optical bay)

We use the OCZ vertex range of SSD - as they seem to be the best value for performance.
    Apple SSD (toshiba) are expensive and not as good performance as OCZ vertex range.

I doubt the graphics card will handle any Matrox device. The MDP is single link.
    Only way to acertain results is to test with your content and setup scenario.

MacBooks are very limited compared to MacPros - however, it depends what you want to achieve. MacMinis are about the same performance as MacBook Pro - so its worth consiering as its a lot cheaper!...

Catalyst will work with Lion - so is fine for Native installs on a MacBook or MacMini. Theres no reason to downgrade. (only MacPro)
    Drivers are the main issue with 'downgrading the OS - However, the hardware has not changed (as of May 2012) with a 5.1 MacPro - so is still easily possible to run Snow Leopard.
    Newer MacBooks or MacMinis may not run SnowLeopard as drivers are not present for the newer hardware...

Only difference between software versions is the number of layers, mixes and DMX PixelMad outputs - so for a lower spec MacBook or MacMini you may as well save your money and just buy a 2 or 4 layer version. You can test to see what works without a dongle before committing to purchase.

hope this helps

S
    Last edited by Mr_P; 10-05-2012 at 07:25 PM.
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

As was just said... the ssd need only be for content... as far as gpu power vs mini.... from what I have seen there is a fair difference if we are talking about the latest MBP vs latest Mini. I was actually pretty impressed with what I could squeeze out of the MBP. That said price vs performance may be worth considering. I have NOT tried a DHTG or THTG and I wouldnt but hey who knows...

simon, could we have a preview monitor with a mac mini system - QT's 1024, 800 or 720 25fps + multichannel audio (motu 828 mkii), max 2 layers (only with crossfades), 1 mix output, smpte input

would there be another way setting up the mix parametres without preview besides dmx or webserver?

thanks, peter

Thanx for your answers, it's a bit more clear now....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    I doubt the graphics card will handle any Matrox device. The MDP is single link.
    Simon, the MDP is Dual Link, not single Link. In fact, all Apple Devices with a Mini Display Port (including Thunderbolt) are Dual link.

MBPs do work with Matrox devices just fine. I have teams running DH2G and TH2G on MBPs all the time for wide screen Keynotes we route to Spyder.

Only way to acertain results is to test with your content and setup scenario.
    This is still agreed.

MacMinis are about the same performance as MacBook Pro
    Not true. The Mac Mini's have dual channel SATA, have dedicated PCI bridge, and with the addition of the discrete Video, have higher video performance.

MPBs have better performance than Minis. However, it's agreed their performance is still not substantial enough where they would reliably replace a Mac Pro Media server.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Todd, do you refer to the 2011 mac mini's?

Would a 2010 - 2009 mac mini compare?

will the better MBP performance compare to the higher video performance mac mini

we'll test for sure