Thread: Making a backup system

Making a backup system

Hello
    I have a couple questions re:a "hot" backup catalyst.

I have 2 identical catalyst/mac pro-based systems. An KVM w/a usb port for the license dongle. All i need for DVI splitting, etc.

I'm going to run this system via a Grand MA over Artnet.

In order to have a true backup system ready, do I just need to have both MAcs running into the switch of my Grand MA/NSP network? If that's the case, would they both be set to the same artnet ip address? Otherwise, wouldn't the grandMA see them as two different systems?

I'm sure I'm overlooking/confusing something! I'd appreciate any and all help getting this together properly. Thank you!!!

2. Hello

You cannot have two machines with the same IP address.

As Artnet is generally a broadcast protocol, the Catalyst software will see the data from the console and both will process the commands in parallel.

Also, it will not be true hot backup, as the dongle will only be seen by one machine at a time. For a true hot backup system, you would need a second dongle.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

I think I understand that re:artnet.

As for the dongle, aren't products like the stuff from Pro Systems Group (http://www.pro-systems-group.com/en/...pc-patch-panel) sold on the principle that it will share the USB port with whatever system it's switched to? Thus whatever system's catalyst is active will see/recognize the dongle?

4. the dongle will be switched, not shared - if you change over to the server without the dongle, you will see the blue bands on the screen, as the server needs to see the dongle on startup - it won't see it the instant you change over.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk