Thread: Sync Data and sub net

Sync Data and sub net

I was trying to subnet synced pairs of cats apart and it seems at first look that the sync data is immune to subnet? I was really tired but I did subnet a pair of machines apart and the sync data still worked! Did I miss something or is this correct?

Anyone?

M329 sync data is transmitted on the network listed at the top of the catalyst control window...

However, with the new version m364 - there are more options available in the 'broadcast' drop-down menu, on the catalyst control window, to allow you to transmit the sync data on a specified network range.

Don't know about the subnet issue though...

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

after some research I am assuming that the sync data is via UPD and therefore subnet will have no effect. Havent tried teh new version but it would appear that I should be able to make that work for at least a couple isolated sync setups. It would be nice to be able to manually input the broadcast range for the sync data so that more complicated arrangements could be easily assembled.

You can sync multiple setups on the same network, just use different sync id's.

Or you can use different subnets. The sync data is sent to the broadcast address of the subnet, depending on how you have the settings in M364. So you could theatrically change the subnets of the separate sections of machines.

Why don't you just use separate network switches for the groups of machines? Way easier.

I understand the sync id thing.. it was not a viable solution to have multiples.. this a master/backup situation where everything needed to be online and primary/backup sets had to have matching programming. Different switches still doesnt fix without using managed switches and adds more cable and connections to be made every day. The new options in 364 may fix this for this arrangement but if I understand correctly there are only enough choices to run a few different subnets of sync as you cannot manually input the subnet. I havent had a chance to try migrating to 364 yet