Thread: DMX inFrame

DMX inFrame

I am trying to playback at clip by setting the play mode to inFrame and then making 2 cues that change the in frame from 0 to 1235 over 49.4 seconds.

Everything works, but I get quite a few dropped frames. Is there something clever I can do to make it all smooth?

I am using a MA2 Lite in series 1 mode. I have tried both via artnet and with a CIB. I have tried altering the catalyst frame rate from 25fps to 30fps.

Many thanks,
    Simon

Simon,

Doing what you are describing will most likely look like dropped frames and such. Look at it this way. Console is refreshing its DMX output at about 25hz(look in the status window). You are then dividing 1236 total frames by the 49.4 seconds, outputting that number based on 25hz dmx refresh rate, then displaying from the catalyst between the 25 or 30hz refresh rate. Nothing is synchronized to happen exactly as needed to play frame by frame.

What you really need to do is set your inframe and outframe like you have, set to play mode, and change your playspeed to a value which will take the clip 49.4 seconds to play out. Then create a frameblending effect and apply it to that layer. This will really be the only way to achieve this. Might take a while with a stopwatch, but its doable. And you aren't relying on timing from the console and the DMX output of the MA2. You can also have a cue with a follow time of 49.4 seconds that will fade it out or whatever.

Ryan

I suspected that it would be a problem with nothing being in sync, it is a shame that there isn't a DMX smoothing option for inFrame.

Its something that probably would have no reason to have happen strictly because then you would be limited to the console. So it would still jump all over the place depending on how fast it was used.

5. Have you thought about creating presets to run the cues and then triggering them with DMX? Haven't tested myself, but you may get a better fade.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk