Thread: media on 3D surfacing ?

media on 3D surfacing ?

hello everybody and Richard,

I have a new project in two months for a client that would make the video on a surface composed of a 3D cube in front of white background. he would like the same thing that the video attached, that it would be realized with the media server pandora coolux. It would be a solution with a catalyst.
    I already try to make the surface in 3D with 3D StudioMax for a "model" in. obj, but I can not watch the video at one time on all surfaces.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYnH4duXiD8&noredirect=1

thank you very much for your help

I hope to soon

Yves

sorry for my bad english i'm french

That clip was most likely a video created in Adobe AfterEffects then just played back from a media server. You can't really create something like that in catalyst itself.

If you created the movie using the same perspective as the projector, then you can use Catalyst to playback the movie and keystone to fit it on there pretty close.

Another program you may want to look at is MadMapper. (www.madmapper.com). That would give you the ability to play the movie back and basically reconstruct the mapping on 3d surfaces through through that program. See their example videos.

hi Ryan

thanks for your answer.

I think that is a video created specifically for that, because the coloring of the edges seems unlikely with a media server.
    my question is that if I want to scroll one or two line 3D video on this surface, how can I recover the depth of the different cube if I can not apply a mapping from the catalyst as little to do with a "pandora" (see the manual).

thank you for the site "mad mapping", which I had already read and which seems very interresting but can we combine it with a catalyst for the exchange "siphon" to manage different video from the server?

Thank you very much

best regard

Yves

Hello Yves,

It would be possible using a bunch of mixes, and a lot of time to get them lined up and oriented correctly.

I would say it would be much easier to use MadMapper for this particular thing because the interface for orientating multiple services compared to your input is very easy.

At this time, Catalyst does not support Syphon. But with a little work, you could use a capture card to take the catalyst output from a server and input it to a machine using MadMapper. You would probably have to create something like a quartz composer patch to take the video input, route it to a Syphon server, and use the Syphon client within MadMapper to receive that video. Unless you wanted to just playback a video within MadMapper.

Ryan

This was all mapped using Catalyst mixes from 4 projectors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WEN2549nls&sns=em

thanks Tharding
    i go some test with video make with the direction of the projector ...
    yves

I think the problem whit 3d-mapping is that you often don't got the time to map it onto the surface because it takes TIME to get it right. I use D3 for these kind of 3d mapping projects because its really easy to preprogram and map your .obj file on to the reel object when your on stage, you can feed it from your catalyst to.