Thread: Both Mac's crashing.....

Both Mac's crashing.....

I realize that this is more a Macintosh question than a Catalyst question, but both my catalyst systems are freezing...constantly. Need help!

Long story short, system 1 freezes & projects whatever is on the output & desktop screen after 3 minutes to 1 hour after bootup & running catalyst

System 2 will freeze at random times, but will blackout output. When this occurs, I will get usually a blue screen (no text) on my desktop (but have had a magenta & white screen on separate occasions)

After doing some research, it sounds like hardware failure. We have 2 drives on each system - SSD for OS drive & regular drive for content. We just swapped out the OS drives, and system 2 was seemingly fixed after extensive use this week. The problem came back today upon 2 days of system rest. We are going to swap content drives next and see if that is where the problem lies.

Has anyone had this system problem with their Catalyst or Mac in general, and if so some possible solution recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

heat ? double check ventillation

you on tour? load in load out?

what is system spec?

This is a permanent install in a nightclub. Server 2 has only recently begun acting up. The first night of failure being an incredibly hot and humid one. The problem has happened in both a hot & humid room and also shortly after a cold start in a fully air conditioned room with no bodies in it. Both Mac's are in cupboards with supplemental intake/outtake fans built into the backside of cupboard. This system has been running like nearly 3 years.

System 1 and 2 are both identical, except after checking the specs on both systems, server 1 only has 2 GB of Ram, and server 2 has 6 GB of RAM. Possible ram failure? Stolen RAM? I'll check inside tomorrow - using system tonight

model : Mac Pro
    Model identifier : MacPro 3.1
    Processor name : Quad core Intel xeon
    Processor Speed : 3 Ghz
    Number of Processors: 2
    Total number of cores: 8
    L2 cache (per processor)12 mb
    Memory: 2 GB(server 1) (6GB on server 2)
    Bus Speed: 1.6 ghz
    Boot ROM Version: MP31.006c.B05
    SMC Version: 1.25f4

Catalyst version PM 4.10_nm165UB_HD

sounds like time to check and clean everything with fans

Possibly dust buildup in the graphcs card and systems fans leading to overheating?

Do backup your show files and content.

May be worth thouroughly cleaning them one-by-one to see if it makes a difference.
    Also ensure that surrounding area is dust free.

Some older Intel Macs only shipped with 2G RAM - so is probably not an issue
    (unless there are sticks installed that have failed).

Never recommended to fully enclose any computer - Macs need ventilation and do fail more often in extreme hot environments. Extra forced cooling can help - but can lead to ecxessive dust buildup too...

Some theatre installs have to clean their macs every 3-4 months for this reason...

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Thanks for the response guys. I will post an update very soon.

Another thing we had to do while out on tour, outside, sheds in 100+ deg heat... Also with the digico consoles and their power supplies...

We hung open bags of dry ice in front of the vents and put a fan, forcing some of the now cold air in the humid hot environment into the machine. Never shut down after that...
    We just asked the dry ice people for a bag. It was cloth mesh style bag. Just filled her up, and hung in front. Worked great...

Just a thought.

I know in Singapore, without the dry ice, i was overheating and shutting down 4 catHD as well as 4 hippos.