written by someone who has never worked through a complex edit -

or done any complex input or output movies-

just terrible- doesnt even do basic stuff right -

so many things wrong with it....

absolutely terrible

completely unusable

--

its like turning Logic into Garage Band-

Oh dear. Apple messed up there! FCP had established itself as the editing software of choice for so many professional editors over the last 10 years. FCPX is missing so many essential features. Own goal Apple!

Hugh

its quite difficult to imagine a more clueless attempt at the editing problem-

its stuffed full of hideous fx and transitions and things that noone in their right mind would ever use-

yet has removed sdi input AND output ( no sdi capture ) - in any form-
    EDL - batch capturing- even entering numbers for in and out points-

it forces you to foillow their file structure -

no sequences -
    No sub-sequences-

No timecode-
    no multicam editing-
    NO final cut project import -
    Sure you can import iMovie - Oh my god.... but which editors are using iMovie?
    Almost all multichannel audio support

Forces you to edit with this magnetic thing - that just doesnt work the way editors work in NLE

No non-square pixels-
    Only image sizes they specify/allow!!!

the whole thing is quite extra-ordinary - and incredibly clueless

An Abomination-

This is an interesting article on this too..

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...ce=twitterfeed

final cut pro is a tool to solve problems - not iMovie problems - problems with complex solutions

apple is like saying - we dont think these problems need solving in this way - so we are removing them - it shows complete failure to understand what people need

when we have all spent 15 years dealing with really complex things

like taking logic and saying "well you know garage band is fine"

like taking in design and saying well you know pages is fine

every single piece of functionality in software - solves some really difficult problem that often crops up

Final cut pro can no longer solve many of the problems that catalyst users need to-

Apple will lose the professional video industry with this

David, with all due respect - how are you qualified to "address the concerns of professional editors"? FCP X is probably fantastic for cutting an eighth grader's class project, but please take a breath and try to understand why the professional editorial community is totally freaking out about this. The changes, omissions, and "new direction" of Final Cut X are truly devastating to any editor who uses the software in a rigorous and/or professional post-production context. Going down your list, it's abundantly clear that you just don't understand. You're answering concerns "one by one" with a lack of experience, knowledge and understanding- and it's really frustrating because your article is just going to reinforce the totally false idea that editors are over-reacting to this release with nerdy hissy fits.

I cut feature films. I have been using FCP for over a decade, and even with all its quirks and eccentricities it has worked like a charm. I can tell you without any doubt or question that FCPX is absolutely not equip to handle the type of work that I do, and it hurts me to say it- but based on what I see, I can't imagine it ever will be. The financial implications of this are significant. I am going to need to re-train on new software (Avid or Premiere), buy some amazingly expensive new hardware, and re-position myself professionally- no longer can I tout my 10 years of cutting with this software as a marketable skill set. I want you to take a split second, right now, and think about my situation. No vacation this summer. Serious economic stress. Immense frustration.

Angus Wall (editor of The Social Network) has blurbed the new FCP, which is a total mystery. Call him up. Ask him if he plans to use FCPX on his next project. Call Walter Murch. Ask him. Call the Coens. Ask them. Please, call them. Feature films will not be edited on Final Cut anymore. It's cooked.
    Welcome to the New Coke digital fiasco.

You have commeted on the wrong game. This is about professional tools not beefing up pretty toys.

While a valiant effort and I know your heart is in the right place, and I admire technical neatness like the next guy, but with a heavy heart, I go to bed on day 3 thinking this is the end of Final Cut as professional tool.

The demise started with Quicktime X last year ( toy) and it ends today with another X.

I have been in software design for maybe 15 years and a professional user of Final Cut for maybe 5 and i have never seen a new product day as dark as this. ( OK maybe New Coke or whatever it was called).

Contrary to what many so passionately state, Apple does not deserve a break claiming this is V1 of a product.

They had 10 years to learn how to do this right. They DO deserve a break similar from when we went from OS 9 to Mac OS X - that was big, stuff broke, it was hard, but we could see it was worth it. We could do some things with it on day one. Open a WORD doc written in OS 9, play a movie made in OS 9, run an old DVD etc., etc., It was more than Macdraw and MacPlay.

This is different - whats there works pretty well, even lovely sometimes.

What is fundamentally NOT there is likely the basis of the firestorm across all the boards, blogs, tweets, etc.,. the pro industry is scared because this is it. And Its not enough to make a living on.

Respectfully you do 1 million Final Cut users a disservice defending this on purely 'growing pains' grounds. Collectively we are little more than a rant to Apple, but you owe it to this community to re-educate Apple on the difference between tools and toys.
    I don't need it all to work, but this is an unprecedented storm of discontent. It really might be that pulling up 5 million iMovie users is far more lucrative ( in the short term at least) then improving the workflow and life of of hundreds of thousands of professional film, TV, music video and theatrical trailer editors.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanww View Post
    This is an interesting article on this too..

I don’t buy any of this. You guys still think you are dealing with a company run by Steve Jobs. We are NOT.

Snow Leopard was a downgrade.
    Quicktime X was a downgrade.
    Final Cut “Pro” X is a massive downgrade.
    Lion???? i shudder to think…

Let’s start here. How about a “File – Open” menu choice?? This software was clearly designed by the geniuses that GREYED OUT the entire interface in iTunes. If i made an App that didn’t have File – New, File – Open, and File – Save… i’m pretty sure Apple would throw it back in my face. But if you are an Apple employee decades old rules that make it possible to understand and use all software are out the window. Why? File – Open is a rule that all are supposed to use for the benefit of all…. it’s a RULE. Just like greyed out is a rule. Just like backwards compatible USED to be a rule at Apple.

I’m a Mac lifer since ’87, and at this point i have ZERO faith in any part of Apple anymore. Every version of FCP could open legacy documents, if Apple hasn’t figured out how to do that most basic function, then DON’T RELEASE the software. 2001 Apple would have waited. 2005 Apple would have waited.

This is JUST like Quicktime X. Rolled out to much fanfare, completely unusable garbage. Apple’s response… “Oh if you need to pro features you are supposed to use the “old” Quicktime 7 Pro”. Sound Familiar?

Or the iPad folks that took 12 months to make WiFi models keep accurate time (TIME for God’s sake!!). Or the high level execs that are going to provide NO DISKS with Lion (you know, because hard drives NEVER fail or need to be replaced with larger ones) This is the logic of all the ex Microsoft employees that run Apple now. And this rant is aimed at the Apple brain-trust more than the rank and file coders who make FCP.

That logic overflows into decision like… you can’t arrange your workspace the way you wish (the absolute opposite of Apple friendly). You can’t have more than two monitors (since when???). You can’t view on an external device for those oh so unimportant CLIENTS. I want to Save or Save As my document AS I SEE FIT. For Apple to be wholesale removing this stuff is an OUTRAGE. It’s ANTI-APPLE (or at least, what Apple was under Jobs)

This IS an absolute train wreck of Vista proportions. Apple didn’t even officially acknowledge that FCP-X was a coming product. The software is RELEASED on the same day it is announced with the name “Pro”, AND they pull FCPS3… and WE are the ones who have done something wrong?!?! I think NOT!

So to those of you that think we are chicken little… i disagree. At Apple, the sky IS actually falling. Apple has proven again that the ONLY thing they care about is iPads and iPhones. Any my iPhone would be great… if it worked as a PHONE ( that’s Apple reverso logic at work again… the iPhone does everything, except reliably connect phone calls )

How am i supposed to believe that the morons that dropped this bomb on us are smart enough to fix it? That is why we are screaming bloody murder. If heads don’t roll in high places, this actually WILL be the end of Final Cut Pro.

We are not screaming just be jerks. I care about FCP and i’m upset about what they have done to a once proud franchise. And i don’t believe any of this would have happened if Jobs were truly still in charge. This is less about FCPX and more about what Apple has devolved into.
    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...ce=twitterfeed

Richard, let me disagree... as editor, working with computers and video since the mid 80's I have to say that FCP X it's the 1st real step ahead since the timeline was invented.

I have worked with many systems... now afters a few months of using FCPX, the rest of apps seems to me as old as going back to U-Matic editors. It's ultra fast, I do the same as before in half the time... it's a sample of the future of the editing... obviously, there are lot's of lacks, but this is why is version 0... just a "taste" of what is coming.

fine to disagree- i have been doing this a long time too- i used to edit with real film - back in the day - on steenbecks or similar - you don't even have twin AB rolls on these devices- I'm a film guy - not a video guy - i started on film- not umatic-

but i just hit a brick wall trying to use it to edit after around 15 minutes of trying-
    so maybe it just doesn't suit my way of editing at all-

editing is an indeterminate thing - its an indeterminate process - you don't know the answer to an edit- whats going to work or not work-

editing is like feeling in the dark for the creative solution to creating a meaning - through an intuition - through an emotion - through a connection-
    actually the technology is irrelevant - unless it gets in the way

its the way you feel the cut - or the way the cut works - it doesn't have to be precise-

but you lay it out in a certain way - opening it up- you don't work in one direction

creating little sequences- on separate reels - asking questions like - how will these pieces join together-

---

but as a tool - they removed many pieces that people still use- and so do my clients.
    projects don't develop from 'tasters' thats bullshit - this isn't a way to treat your clients in any industry- you don't throw your 10 year old product in the bin - unless you have an agenda.

I'm a developer- there is an agenda here - that isn't obvious

Quote Originally Posted by jjrecort View Post
    Richard, let me disagree... as editor, working with computers and video since the mid 80's I have to say that FCP X it's the 1st real step ahead since the timeline was invented.

I have worked with many systems... now afters a few months of using FCPX, the rest of apps seems to me as old as going back to U-Matic editors. It's ultra fast, I do the same as before in half the time... it's a sample of the future of the editing... obviously, there are lot's of lacks, but this is why is version 0... just a "taste" of what is coming.

oh - the agenda-

well apple considers 'quicktime' as legacy - obsolete -

and so is removing it from all its products - and doesn't want any dependancy on it moving forwards- the 64 bit 32 bit performance hype is nonsense-

hence the removal of massive amounts of functionality for final cut X- all the 'legacy' stuff - the stuff that does things that people actually use...
    like proper video capture- like proper video output- all these use 'legacy' obsoleted API - for which there is no equivalent replacement.
    The reason they couldn't update final cut was - they killed the api's it relied on... but didn't replace them with anything anywhere near as complete

and replacing it with something that works on its iPhones and iPads.... making people use h264 -

well that causes a little problem for people who actually use quicktime to get things done.

you know - i just opened it up again

they removed my entire editing workflow... something that took me a long while to develop
    i use sub clips and sequences to edit-

i hate the single window interface-
    i hate the fact i can't drag clips where i want them on the timeline-
    adding space before and after things-
    i hate the fact i can't set in and out points on the timeline to export
    i hate the fact it moves my clips around on the timeline when i don't want it to- opening and closing things up- if i want it on track 3- i want it to stay there-
    i hate being unable to save versions of edits - when i want to save them
    i hate not having the ability to enable or disable everything on a track- to try or test things out-
    i can't locate media accurately from old projects- or old discs - i can't use lo-res proxies
    i can't lay out my sound tracks-

i edit with multiple sequences at the same time -
    i have multiple sequence types
    i use multiple bins with clips in- of different types-
    i log clips and create sub-clips with different takes - where are sub-clips?
    I'm absolutely baffled by the concept of 'events' - i never edited anything like this- i edit sequences - then put them together

Quote Originally Posted by jjrecort View Post

Better switch to Adobe Premiere then

Hugh