Thread: Multiple Masked images

1. Multiple Masked images

Hi everyone I have a production that I am working on that has a number of items of scenic projection. The image below shows the set with the white areas being the sections of set I would like to project on.

For the show to fully work as the director wants I need to be able to cross fade between 2 videos on each section of the set (white areas of the image) as well as being able to project 1 video across all of the scenic elements of the set at the same time. So I am looking for some advice on the best way to achieve multiple masked areas as well as being as flexible with content selection and placement I would make a master mask that sat on top of everything and simple put mixes behind but on either side of the set the scenic elements are at an angle that would makes this impossible (I think).

Any general advice about compound masks and masking in general would be greatly appreciated and will give me a better understanding of how to approach this setup.

I will be projecting with a pair of stacked Barco HD20's for reference, if more info is needed let me know.

Cheers
    Steve

Best approach might be to use a number of mix windows to cover each area, and a separate one (or the background) to project overall.

If you use a pair of layers to playback in each area, then a 3rd to do the masking over the other two, using any of the border/crop visual effects.

The overall image could be done in a number of ways:
    Create an accurate mask - and use it over a playback layer (tricky)
    or have another setup saved in a preset that offsets the mixes such that one layer will appear over all of them...

Using a master mask is tricky to re-adjust afterwards if things move or need adjustment.

Treating each area separately might work for you - it uses more layers and mixes - but might be ultimately more flexible.

If these options aren't feasible - talk to Richard directly as there might be some alternative methods...

Do contact me to discuss some options or if you need more help

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk