Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OS X Lion 10.7

problem is on new mac, it's impossible to install version 10.6 or 10.5

which new mac?

apple typically does not get important bugs fixed for 6 months after new OS release-

they turn their problem into your problem.

i test stuff for 6 months or so before even tentatively using it in important situations.

Quote Originally Posted by PascalV View Post
    problem is on new mac, it's impossible to install version 10.6 or 10.5
    Not true -

We are purchasing new macs which are sold with Lion pre-installed. We then wipe the HD and re-install Snow Leopard via Disk Image (10.6.8)...
    We leave the Lion rescue partition in-tact (because its hidden) so that it can be upgraded at a much later date once stable.

S
    Last edited by Mr_P; 22-09-2011 at 09:07 AM.
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Noone should be updating a working and installed system with a new OS-

Noone should consider this process to be without trouble- at many levels-

i suggest noone makes any move to make a major change to use Lion from an existing system

If someone wants to try - they should be keeping a complete bootable backup of their existing OS hard drive-

Wait -until enough time has passed- and bugs have been fixed- checked and rechecked-

apple changes not only software - but hardware drivers and their implementation-

It can take some considerable time for 3rd party vendors to get to grips with these changes-

overall system reliability - on long and short term shows-
    is more important than using the latest software OS from apple-

There are no new features in Lion that make an improvement to the operation or performance of catalyst-

Just heard from colleague in Miami, he is running Lion on a New Mac Mini Server with SSd with no problem to date..... not sure what is turned on or off yet ....

Ian

Pascal... As MrP said it can be done on some macs sold with Lion installed... the trick is that ONLY 10.6.8 works so it must be done via a disk image as there was never a retail disk with that version. Its not all that hard really.... Just did it on a new MBP... runnin fine... the 6750 gpu seems to be pretty decent for a mac laptop actually

so what now ?
    and how long will it take

look in downloads.. right now

but I'm still mystified why people would want to take a risk to change something that works - to something that doesnt-

there is absolutely no need for any mac pro users to upgrade to lion-

i would never suggest anyone did any such thing without a lot of confidence testing on real shows- - and right now - no one is using Lion on any shows with mac pro

just built a new show server with one of the new mac mini put the Lion build on it and coundnt understand why some stuff didnt work as it should then found this thread ....gutted ...notice there is a system update does this help at all ?

issues are wont display JPEG images _test /set up cards

had the software lock up while shuffling between content

might be old news but thought i would share
    sticking with the 10.6 laptop for a while then ...

Mark