Thread: 720 x 480 resolution / grandMA2

720 x 480 resolution / grandMA2

Hey guys--

Wondering how to set output 2 to 720x480.... all our content has been custom built to this resolution due to our wall(s) setup.

Any ideas? I'm running DVI out of a NVIDIA 120gt to a folsom image pro.
    -----
    Anyone have a good fixture profile for the layers other than the stock one in a grandMA2?

Thanks in advance!

Set the Image PRO EDID to 720x480 and it should pop up in display prefs.

However - you should really see what resolution your LED Wall processor will accept...
    - Ditch the image pro and connect directy to it at an acceptable native resolution (1024x768 / 800x600 or simlar)
    - then use a mix window in catalyst at 720x480 and run your content 1:1
    - ensure that your LED processor is set to 1:1 scaling too

Image Pros are so over-used... when simply figuring out the best native resolutions works much better. Theres no point in scaling up, then back down

(The exception to this if if you have to convert to SDI or similar)

let me know if you need more help

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Hello Simon --

Thanks for your reply. Got the image pro to show up at 720 - thanks!

Ok - So I'm being told that the Stealth processors really want to see 1024x768. We're using the image pro at FOH to change to SDI to send to the stage.

This is my first time playing with mix windows so I think I can get to where I need to based on your advice. But to push it a bit further - we are also using a couple projectors to project onto the PA. I've been worried about signal flow to them, but with this discovery of mix windows(i know, new guy), perhaps I can put up 3 mix windows on the second output (2 for the projectors, with the 720 mix in the middle for the walls. I'm capable of sending 1920 out of the mac to the folsom, and letting the video guys do whatever they do with it. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks again.

Mike Cooper
    +1.573.450.2150

Yeh - stealth only runs 1024x768 at 60Hz and the processor only accepts DVI - but is very fussy...

What size (and res) is your Stealth screen?
    and what resolution can your projectors to run?
    Do both projectors need seperate images - or the same image?

If you dont need a programming screen, output 1 can connect to both projectors at your desired resolution (same image on both)
    and ouptut 2 to the Stealth SP1 processor (at 1024x768)

You can size a mix window to 720x480 on a 1024x768 output and move it to line up over your stealth screen

If your catalyst is next to the Stealth SP1, then its best to connect the DVI directly to the processor and use the loop thru for your monitor. (ie ignore scan converter)

However - if your catalyst is FOH and Stealth SP1 is onstage then image pro to SDI is one way of doing it - but 1024x78 isnt a resolution that SDI supports, so there will be some scaling between the imagePros. A fibre or DVI extender might be more efficient and not scale the image twice... BUT DO TEST - as the SP1 doesn't like every DVI signal...

1920x1080 method:
    Using multiple mix windows is one way of doing it - and the video guys can use a scan converter to scale on to each mix window then send that portion of the screen to each projector.
    However, this may reduce the resolution - which may not be desirable.

However:
    An alternative method is to use a Matrox Triple Head-2-Go (TH2G) expansion box on one output, leaving the other output available for you to program. This uses the same principal with the mix windows, but actually give you multiple DVI outputs.

So rather than a 1920x1080 pallet you might have 3x 1024x768 (3072x768) pallet and your mix windows can be positioned to match the physical DVI outputs, thus giving each projector a seperate a higher full resolution image (eg 1024x768) and a seperate 1024x768 output for the stealth.

...depends on the look you're going for - this is a couple of different ways of doing it

Do let me know if you need more info

S
    Last edited by Mr_P; 01-06-2011 at 10:49 PM.
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk