Thread: Mac Mini or MacBook Pro

Mac Mini or MacBook Pro

Hello to everyone on the Catalyst forum, I was hoping I could get some help.
    The artist I am currently touring with would like to purchase his own Catalyst system to save money on rentals and not always getting what we spec, having to re prep all the time etc.
    We need a lightweight system due to shipping costs and have been toying with the idea of setting up a system running on the new 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac Mini or the 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 MacbookPro

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has run of any of these and would be able to offer some advice, our current set up is as follows

2x Catalyst systems running 32 layers, 7 mixes (2 only used for tying in to local video, doesn't happen too often)

Cat 1 output A 1024x768 @60Hz
    3x mixes (Active)
    1x Pixel Mix
    1x Blackmagic HDMI input @ 1080i

Cat 1 output B 1600x1200 @60Hz
    2x mixes (Backup)

-------

Cat 2 output A 1024x768 @60Hz
    3x mixes (Backup)

Cat 2 output B 1600x1200 @60Hz
    2x mixes (Active)

The obvious first problem is the Blackmagic input card and how to get the HDMI input to the Mac, the second problem is needing 2 outputs, has anyone run the second output from the MacMini HDMI port, does anyone know of adapters for the MacBook Pro to run 2 outputs.

Sorry for the mass enquiry on my first postings to the forum but due to a very hectic schedule on tour I am having trouble doing the research so if anyone could offer any ideas or alternatives I would be very grateful.

Ben

I doubt very much that you are going to get good performance out of either machine given your required config. You probably really need MacPro towers to do this properly.

-Mac-mini doesn't like to do more than single output typically.
    -Macbook might have slightly better performance with "dual" outputs via DH2G, but with that many layers and mixes at your specified resolutions I wouldn't expect as much performance as it appears you require.
    SSD over HDD would be critical as well in all cases.

Best bet is to try one out and see if it will do what you need it to, but I'm betting you need MacPro.

Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

Please read this thread: Here

If you want to find very light Mini Catalyst Systems please contact me off list and I will give you more guidance. I have several specialized miniaturized servers out right now but they were designed exactly within the limits of the media and tested before use.

I can help you pick something out but I also have systems available if you need to purchase.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by benwin View Post
    2x Catalyst systems running 32 layers, 7 mixes (2 only used for tying in to local video, doesn't happen too often)

Cat 1 output A 1024x768 @60Hz
    3x mixes (Active)
    1x Pixel Mix

Cat 1 output B 1600x1200 @60Hz
    2x mixes (Backup)

-------

Cat 2 output A 1024x768 @60Hz
    3x mixes (Backup)

Cat 2 output B 1600x1200 @60Hz
    2x mixes (Active)
    Ben
    With your specifications and expectations - there is no point even looking at a Mac-Mini or MacBookPro as you will spend more time failing to make things work...

You would be MUCH better off with a MacPro, which will also give you the facility to take video input successfully.

You mention not getting a reliable spec all the time... and having to re-prep.
    It may be worth considering taking an HD with you with your own installation of MacOS that you can use on any other intelMac server. We use the same disk image on 2007-2011 servers. At least you know its configured correctly. (just watch out for peripheral drivers)

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk