Quote Originally Posted by litemover
Digital Lighting - Lighting's less offensive word for video. I hate this term because not only is it deceiving but it is a a bold faced lie. Sure light comes out of a projector or video wall but nonetheless, it is still video even if is attached to a yoke or head. This would be like Video people doing lighting at the same time and calling it Video Highlighting. How lame. They must think that the video world is stupid. When asked numerous times by tech directors, video operators, and the like "How is this lighting?" I always say "It's not, it's video." They always say, oh. If I were to answer them with the digital lighting answer, I would be insulting their intelligence. Video people are hardly stupid, especially about what is and isn't video.

They need to get off the fence and realize what they have.

I do think that all of the flexible features, even re-aspecting, are very cool as this would require a lot of extra equipment to do with any of the video based video servers. But it is still video.

This must be quite frustrating, thanks for explaining it to me. It would make me want to start a new project.

Christian
its incredibly frustrating. And its not going to change.
So i did start a new project.

Its always been video.
I work in the video industry with video equipment.
I have been doing this kindof thing for more than 10 years.
Video people just fall about laughing at the mention of gobos.
There is no 'lighting' technology, jargon or terminology used in the interface or design of this software.

But this is focussed on the lighting console as a control solution for live shows.
Video people never really developed anything to control large numbers of devices- outside show control.

The lighting operator gets to leverage his live skills - his skills in breaking things down visually and being visually aware - and use them to control more of the stage display elements.

This is a role they are good at.

Video people are often hidden backstage without an overview of the stage picture being created.
This is because the creative role in video production has already been fulfilled once the content is on tape and has been approved.

The lighting guy now gets to make the show presentation work even better.

R