Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac Mini Server, poor performance

Did you close catalyst between disconnecting screens /re-connecting screens?

Are you running via a DA or direct out of the graphics card?

If swapping screens and graphics card connections - you need to close catalyst and let the OS do its screen detect - then re-open catalyst...

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    Did you close catalyst between disconnecting screens /re-connecting screens?

Are you running via a DA or direct out of the graphics card?

If swapping screens and graphics card connections - you need to close catalyst and let the OS do its screen detect - then re-open catalyst...

S
    I was wondering about that. I had the monitor running, then unplugged it and plugged the wall in. That may be it. Ill try that at tomorrows show. Hopefully it will be that simple.

Don't change screens / resolutions or unplug anything while catalyst is running.

'may yield unexpected results'...

Always set up everything in the OS first - then start catalyst.

If you need to change screens - use a DVI detective or parrot to hold the EDID - so the mac doesn't see a change...

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

UPDATE******

Today I set the Catalyst to boot at start up and go to full screen. Shut down, hooked it up to everything, rebooted, and all is great. Ran thru the entire 1 1/2 hour set. Rock solid. Thanks for all the help everyone. Here is my current set up on this Mini Rack...

Mac Mini Server (running Snow Leopard Server)
    Catalyst 257
    Out of mini port to mini to VGA adapter, from there, VGA in to Imagepro
    Running 1024 by 768 60hz (this is what the video guys wanted so thats what I gave them)

Thanks again everyone. Matt

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    not true- there isnt any difference at all in performance between server and non-server os-
    This wasn't what I found on site with the Mac Mini Servers that XL have.

Using one output to drive a Triplehead, playing one wide layer over the three screens, I was unable to get a satisfactory result. Struggling to make 18-20 fps.

After re-imaging with Snow Leopard from fresh, I was able to get 25fps with no frame drops.

Following the install of Snow Leopard from a retail DVD, neither machine's ethernet port was available. I was informed by Apple that the relevant driver to support the port was only available on the restore disk.

Edit: Above show was using an Animation file, 3072px x 288px.

Only reflecting my own experiences with the machines.
    James Cooksey
    Basic Monkey Limited
    t: 0844 870 0036 // f: 0844 870 0046 // e: enquiries3@basicmonkey.net

This is things apple missed - in releases to support these machines

There isn't any difference in graphics drivers or performance or QuickTime or anything that matters between server and non server machines - nothing

unless apple got some drivers wrong
    Which they did
    The mac mini server was released mid os updates
    And some things got missed by them

Quote Originally Posted by basicmonkey View Post
    This wasn't what I found on site with the Mac Mini Servers that XL have.

Using one output to drive a Triplehead, playing one wide layer over the three screens, I was unable to get a satisfactory result. Struggling to make 18-20 fps.

After re-imaging with Snow Leopard from fresh, I was able to get 25fps with no frame drops.

Following the install of Snow Leopard from a retail DVD, neither machine's ethernet port was available. I was informed by Apple that the relevant driver to support the port was only available on the restore disk.

Only reflecting my own experiences with the machines.

what resolution of triple heads?

how many monitors? which monitor port? hdmi or mini display port?

-

these things really dont like working at high resolution

any difference you indicate is extremely unlikely to be anything to do with server or non-server OS-

Quote Originally Posted by MattMills View Post
    I was wondering about that. I had the monitor running, then unplugged it and plugged the wall in. That may be it. Ill try that at tomorrows show. Hopefully it will be that simple.
    sounds like it-

Following the install of Snow Leopard from a retail DVD, neither machine's ethernet port was available.
    The reason the Ethernet did not work is because your Snow Leopard Install DVD was older than 10.6.3. The Mac Mini was created after the release of 10.6.3 which is why the ethernet port did not work correctly.

I was informed by Apple that the relevant driver to support the port was only available on the restore disk.
    Apple support is notorious for not indicating the true nature of the issue back to a user. The issue you had was that until the 10.6.3 update, OS X did not have a driver for the new hardware, ie 2010 Mac Mini. (Also note the same is true for the 2010 Mac Pro. However it is covered from 10.6.2).

If your install DVD is 10.6 then the solution is to clean install. Then copy the 10.6.x update to a USB or Firewire Drive and installed it manually. This will update the drivers and fix the connectivity issues with the Firewire, Bluetooth, Ethernet, and IR port.

A big thing that changed with the Mac Mini hardware was the SATA controller. Prior to 10.6.3 the Mac Mini SATA driver was for multi channel and unfortunately the new 2010 Mac Minis are single channel SATA.

This doesn't matter to most unless you try to create a RAID Stripe across the two internal drives hoping for a performance increase.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    The reason the Ethernet did not work is because your Snow Leopard Install DVD was older than 10.6.3. The Mac Mini was created after the release of 10.6.3 which is why the ethernet port did not work correctly.
    That makes a lot of sense Todd. This was back in October 2010, in the middle of Canary Wharf, not much opportunity to play with updates, just needed thing thing running! Ended up using a USB ethernet adaptor as an interim fix.
    James Cooksey
    Basic Monkey Limited
    t: 0844 870 0036 // f: 0844 870 0046 // e: enquiries3@basicmonkey.net