Thread: Newer Mac Pro

Newer Mac Pro

just wondering if anyone is using Catalyst with the newer macs. Mine is a 2008, but I might upgrade it. The new ones have the Ati video cards. Anyone see anything I should watch out for?

Thanks

2. I have built systems with the new machines and the Quadro 4000 graphics card upgrade seems to be the only option at the moment. the performance of the stock cards is not very good.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

you can use gt120 - and nvidia gtx 285

apple has changed something in graphics for ATI cards - which gives poor performance for hidef files - only for all current ATI cards

Ok, I just looked on Apples website, and the only options are the ATI cards. Is this another card I am going to have to buy and replace the ATI with? Just wondering for budget reasons. I guess I could call Apple and ask if they can build it with the other card.

Quote Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post
    Ok, I just looked on Apples website, and the only options are the ATI cards. Is this another card I am going to have to buy and replace the ATI with? Just wondering for budget reasons. I guess I could call Apple and ask if they can build it with the other card.
    yes - you have to replace ati - if you want more than a few normal resolution layers

i doubt very much apple will replace for you

6. you have to get the Quadtro 4000 from the Applestore as an accessory - not part of a CTO build. See http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H3...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY for example in the UK store.

GTX285's are very hard to come by - some people in the US are 'chipping' the PC version to work on a mac. They seem to work ok - but its a risk you take using them.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by NevBull View Post
    you have to get the Quadtro 4000 from the Applestore as an accessory - not part of a CTO build. See http://store.apple.com/uk/product/H3...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY for example in the UK store.

GTX285's are very hard to come by - some people in the US are 'chipping' the PC version to work on a mac. They seem to work ok - but its a risk you take using them.

Nev.
    quadro 4000 are cheaper outside applestore -

in the usa cdw has them for 850USD

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/PNY...duct%20Catalog

Hypothetical Question..

Theoretically would catalyst run on a Hackintosh built with a quadra4000?

I know it would be unsupported and probably not show safe but I assume that the software does nothing "naughty" or outside the operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by technick View Post
    Theoretically would catalyst run on a Hackintosh built with a quadra4000?

I know it would be unsupported and probably not show safe but I assume that the software does nothing "naughty" or outside the operating system.
    its not possible to say anything about any hackintosh -
    except to presume they dont work