Thread: Layer7-12 resolution

Layer7-12 resolution

Im running older catalyst software - 4.10 m165ub (Updating is beyond my control A.T.M), with triple head video card. My layers 1-6 will scale the full resolution - 3840x 720 no problem, however laters 7 -12 will only scale 1280x720 in their respective position (layer 7+8 will only scale screen 1 of 3, 9+10 will only scale screen 2 of 3 and layer 11& 12 in screen 3of 3). Is there a setting to make all layers scalable to 3840x 720?

sounds like you have layers 1-6 setup as full screen and layers 7+8, 9+10, 11,12 as mix windows on the actual TH2G screens.

Has someone else set this up? is it an existing show?

can you tell me more about your setup - what are you trying to achieve?

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

A bit of info for you: Yes, the system was setup for me. Its been up for like 2 years, and I dont think its been updated since. I work in a nightclub - this is a permanent install. I got the job because of my knowledge of a Vector lighting console. i have a limited video background - ive dabbled with arkaos in the past. The setup - 2 catalyst each with a triple head matrox video card. 27 screens around the room (9000 square feet).There is one main wall with server 1 & 2 side by side (6 screens in a row), and mainly 3 screen clusters around the room. Also, there is an assortment of trackspots, LED's & strobes in the room.

This is an ongoing thing. I operate 2-3 nights a week for 4 hours a night. I have pretty much full creative control of what is projected. The club was initially designed for Music Video Djs, although as of now, no one is doing videos, its all me. My style currently, minimal abstract for opening hour, then lots of strobing, masking / overlays, and music video-esque clips for the peak hours.

What I am trying to achieve - I would like to develop my own "Super Scenes" for the peak hours and ultimately fuse them with my other layers. For example, I would like to use the same clip 3 times, one on each screen with a little overlap onto the other. (If I use just 1 clip and scale it, generally is looks pretty grainy) then lets say thow another 2 layers and then a mask over top. The problem with working with 3840x720 is the loss of resolution when you scale it. I still havn't found any content that was actually made in this resolution. Ive tried to produce my own clips of this description in SOny Vegas so that this all will only take up one layer, but the file size for a 30 second clips is absolutely stupid (6 + gigs!, and the render time is about as bad. I figure I can do it in catalyst in far less time, I need to refine my video producing skills, cuz there is probably a way to do this more efficiently. I reuse my past programming from week to week, updating content almost weekly. Layers 1-6 are quite occupied and if were to playback these super scenes, Is get LTP knocking out or changing things (image,color, position, aspect ratio, etc) to the overlapping layers in the master output. It would be cleaner programming if I could fully utilize layers 7-12.

There are a lot of things to consider here...

1st of which is training - which would help you to configure and make it easier for you to use catalyst...

Your setup has been designed to work in a specific way. So while it would be possible to add layers in - I can't recommend any changes without knowing about the programming and installation - as any wrong suggestions could jeopardise your setup

I think the way to do this is to change or add to the programming on the vector lighting console initially.

Do you know who originally installed the system - maybe they can help?

Regards

Simon
    Last edited by Mr_P; 23-04-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    Simon Pugsley

It was totally the mix settings. I am now able to achieve what I set out to do. I was oblivious to the mixes since I disregarded that panel early on. I now have a better understanding of that part of the system. Thank you for your help all. Im sure Ill need your help again soon.

glad to know its working for you - do let us know if you need any more help

S
    Simon Pugsley