Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video file type and frame rate question

Video file type and frame rate question

ok, so I have a video that had it's audio and video recorded on different computers. The video was recorded at 1080i 59.94. Recorded in final cut pro. The audio was recorded in Protools and the session's time code rate was set to 29.97. So I exported the video as an Apple Intermediac codec 1080i and 720p. When played back on catalyst, with the video and audio synced, the video after about 3 minuets starts to look off. It gets worse and worse as time goes.

I changed the catalyst play rate to 29.97 and that seemed to make it worse.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Are you playing this back as two files?
    If so I would recommend putting the audio and video together as one file and then play the single file back.

Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

I would love to, but can't. Basically I have a video that plays along with a song, and a live band playing that song. The band has a few loops and things that they also play with, and so, even if i put the video's audio in with the video file, then other audio might get off.

Protools is sending sysex commands to a hog3 which controls the catalyst. That is how I was syncing it.

4. Hi there

can you not chop the content up into verse/chorus/middle8 etc and get the hog to trigger the sections throughout the song? Or is it too critical to get cues in the right place?

More programming needed, but alot more flexible

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

+1 to what Nev posted.

It would be easier to have "loopable" sections of content and trigger them at the appropriate time in the audio track. This way if it is a bit faster or a bit slower you are at least always in the proper "section".

If you need more "precise" sync I would recommend having Protools output MTC (MIDI Time Code) to your Catalyst, and use the Sync to MTC Playback mode in your cue on the Hog.

Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

I wish I had that option. Basically it is a person singing a song, and the band on stage playing the song. Can't really chop the video.

I already tried the midi sync to Protools, and that was cool, until it jumped from one point to the other in the video and back. I think that might have something to do with the crappy midi to USB I got for the catalyst. Man it would have been nice had High End finished the midi on the CIB.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

In that case it definitely sounds like you need MTC to make this work properly.

If you saw "skipping" then there was either a problem with the signal coming from Protools or a problem recieveing on Catalysts' end.

I would suspect the Protools output or cables first.

What device are you using to recieve the MIDI on Catalyst?

With MIDI it is always critical to keep your cable distances as short as possible.

If you need to go longer distances, try these boxes:
    http://www.kissbox.nl/products_new.html#midi

Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    - Marty

I take it that you are requiring either lip sync or certain elements of content to happen at a certain exact points. The only way to do this is IF the band is playing to click, is to get the protools rig to send you LTC(audio timecode).

In FCP i would make sure that your re-conformed mov is accurate to the audio track as when you reconform without audio there is a potential over a 3 min clip for considerable frame drift, cut and add frames as needed. I would recomend that in the sequences settings you set the timeline to the timecode you are working to. There are lots of little points in the work flow that if you don't do it just so, you will come unstuck. If you can install FCP on you catalyst system you can run FCP ref movs, that you have edited on that machine, and test and test till it is right and you can play back accuratly.

Freerunning clips if you need to be frame acurate will always end in tears.

email me if you want a more detailed explaination.

Phil
    Philip G Haynes
    Live Visual Design and Direction

This is a bit more of an explanation that what Phil had mentioned but basically on the same lines.

There are a few factors to consider. First, have you verified that the audio and video are in sync in from the post software that you output from? Sounds like a stupid question but worth checking. I'm sure you probably have.

Something else to look at is the machine performance. When you run this, are you only running one layer? What is the resolution? What kind of hardware? It may not be a hardware issue though and your performance could be fine. Then, it's simply a slip of the video from the audio.

Consider that the video portion of the media is playing at one speed and the audio at another. Here's why:

A media file has two parts, the audio and the video. While they are read at the same time, they are not linked except at their starting point. Think of it like a 10 meter steel cable and a 10 meter bungie cord connected to the same place but both have a weight on them at the very end The longer the lengths the greater the difference in the bungie versus the steel cable.

In a computer, audio is given highest priority, comparable to a steel cable. It will run frame accurate at the rate it was recorded. However, the video will not run at its default frame rate unless deliberately specified. It's like the bungie cord.

The video runs at multiples of the refresh rate of the video card. Basically 60hz means 30fps. This is, unless you force it by using the speed control in catalyst. Or if you're using a devices that genlocks the frame rate exactly as its specified.

We know a media server is not 59.94. It's 60. (actually not exactly 60 but definitely not 59.94 either).

Here's an explanation of what you might be seeing. If the video is 5 minutes long (300 seconds) and the post software outputs the final at 29.97fps progressive then it would have 8991 frames.

Since the video card counts single frames of playback at 30fps then you will complete 8991 frames in 299.7 seconds. Not 300. This means that you see a 9 frame difference between the audio and the video after 5 minutes.

If you're running through an image processor, scaler, switcher, etc then you loose a few frames already. It would definitely be noticeable after a few minutes.

If you can render the file again from the post software so that the video is exactly 30fps then it should work. Basically what this would be doing is introducing one new duplicate frame every 33 frames (1.1 seconds).

I've actually done this manually in the past just experimenting. Literally adding duplicate frames to a video I didn't have the source to anymore.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Quote Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post
    I already tried the midi sync to Protools, and that was cool, until it jumped from one point to the other in the video and back. I think that might have something to do with the crappy midi to USB I got for the catalyst.
    FYI, you can use the audio input for SMPTE.

For MIDI though, I use the M-Audio MIDISPORT 2x2 or 4x4. They have been relatively solid. The 1x1 and Uno are a nightmare though.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised