Quote Originally Posted by efxmaster View Post
Here is everything I am doing with the catalyst. I have a triple wide screen, blended with catalyst and a triple head 2 go. The computer is a mid 2008 Mac pro with I think an Nvidia 8800. I have a 32GB SSD hard drive for content playback, and a decklink extreme hd 2 for video input.
This system will run several layers of HD footage in AIC. Depending on your compression level (about 70% or lower) the PhotoJPEG will also play several layers of HD.

Ok so at this point I have a video that is a background. It was rendered as a triple wide image. I don't know the exact resolution or what it's codec is.
You can check the info on this clip and see what it is, the codec, and the size. I will say though that a 3072x768 image is a big image and you wouldn't be able to run very many layers.

I think it would be a very good idea to verify that it is rendered AIC simply because it running could interfere with other layers being able to run well without dropping frames.

Then I have my other video that I am trying to play over that. This video was recorded at 1080i 59.94. I have exported it at a photo-jpeg at that resolution. I have also done an AIC at 1080i and 720p, and both get off. It is around a 1.9GB file.
Once again, re-rendering this files as Progressive at exactly 30 frames would be a very good idea. Anything interlaced looks terrible on a media server.

In regard to this I want to clarify a few things.

Many times people say 1080i or 720p loosely. In the realm of media servers you do not want to say or to used 1080i or 720p.

More exactly you want to specify:
1920x180x@30fps or 1280x720@30fps (25fps for other locals).

Without getting too lost in detail, the terms 720p or 1080p actually refer to faster frame sampling and the use of anamorphic pixels. These are not characteristics that translate to a media server (at least not yet).

Then I have 3 layers looking at the video input which just has lyrics from another source coming in the sdi line.
Video Capture Layers won't cause issues with the playback.