Thread: 2 Odd Problems

2 Odd Problems

Hello everyone, Im having a few odd problems I wanted to bounce off the Forum.

First one....

Lately when I boot up my Mac my screen has a scrambled image on it. I let it boot up all the way and then I have to restart it by holding down the power button and restart it. When I restart it all is fine.

Second one....

I am using 2 monitors. When I boot up my Mac with both plugged in monitor 2 offsets itself, but not in the monitor only on the LED screen. To fix this, what we have been doing is unplugging monitor 2, booting up the Mac, then plugging monitor 2 back in. Then I go to the Catalyst screen and set it to the resolution I want it to be. Very odd, but, we've been making it work.

Heres the info of my system......

Mac Pro 1.1 Dual Core Xeon 2.66
    ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512mb

Catalyst Pro version 257

From DVI out 1 to Samsung Sync Master E1920 Monitor
    From DVI out 2 to ImagePro, from loop thru to Samsung Sync Master E1920 Monitor

Layers 1 thru 10 routed to monitor 2
    Layers 11 and 12 routed to monitor 1 (using PixelMad)

Any ideas? Like I said, we're making it work but probably shouldn't be running in to these problems. Thanks for any help. Matt

Hi Matt

Quote Originally Posted by MattMills View Post
    Lately when I boot up my Mac my screen has a scrambled image on it. I let it boot up all the way and then I have to restart it by holding down the power button and restart it. When I restart it all is fine.
    do you have a photo?
    Is it like white noise - or the desktop - but broken up?
    Have you tried a different LCD?
    or a different graphics card?
    What OS version are you using?

One thought:
    Apple have changed the way they handle HDCP in Snow Leopard - and some older LCD are either not HDCP compliant, or don't seem to display the image correctly.
    I have some benQ G2400 that are over 2 years old and are problematic. Wheras the new BenQ G2220HD and E2220HD work fine...
    A DVI Detective or Parrot with a custom EDID may help as it will stop the HDCP - if thats the issues here?

Quote Originally Posted by MattMills View Post
    I am using 2 monitors. When I boot up my Mac with both plugged in monitor 2 offsets itself, but not in the monitor only on the LED screen. To fix this, what we have been doing is unplugging monitor 2, booting up the Mac, then plugging monitor 2 back in. Then I go to the Catalyst screen and set it to the resolution I want it to be. Very odd, but, we've been making it work.
    From your notes - DVI out 2 to ImagePro, from loop thru to Samsung Sync Master E1920 Monitor
    This may be a clash of EDID with the ImagePro and LCD connected to it. Its a common issue with ImagePros.
    It can usually be fixed by removing the LCD and allowing the imagePro to send its EDID.
    Best option is to connect a DVI DA directly to the Mac and then the ImagePro and LCD to the DA. (you may have to install a DVI Detective or Parrot in there too....)

The reason you are getting an offset is probably due to the ImagePro EDID. It is possible to set a custom EDID on an imagePRO - but you have to have the latest firmware as there is a bug...
    (will update with details later)

It might also be wise to try a different graphics card and see if the problems persists.

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

Thanks Simon, I was actually considering a DVI Detective. As for the scrambled image, its pink and white white noise, but static, not moving. I can post a picture tomorrow, we have the day off today.

I am still on tiger OS. I dont have another graphics card with me, Im currently on tour with it.

If Tiger OS - it is unlikely to he an HDCP issue

Could still be due to ImagePro and EDID

However - sounds more like graphics card on its way out... or lose - its a fairly old system.

suggest a clean/dust fans and internals and re-build.

S
    Last edited by Mr_P; 26-01-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk