Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sync ID

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Hello Bullen,

in our catalyst media servers we use two WD Raptor 74GB HD´s in RAID 0 but I didn´t find any time testing it before. May be this helps you and you can make some quick tests with only using these HD´s?

But as you know, I had also problems by using play with ID. Do you try using other ID´s than 1 for "master"? Sorry but I can´t recognize how I´ve solved the problem! Can also be that the problem was still there but I havn´t seen it in the short testing time. I´m sad that I´m not able to test it now again cause of missing G5´s ;-)
    it doesnt work as well if you put the os on the same disc as the media.

there is a penalty in placing the os on the raid.

you need to keep the media drives separate from the operating system.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by Bullen
    The seem to work fine here!
    Aren't Raptors very fragile?? I meen touring around with??

Bullen
    no more fragile than any hard disc?

The performance is a whole lot better.

Like it works....it really makes a difference.

Standard ATA drives - in any configuration you care to mention - raid this or that - particularily using firewire dont work as well.

Raptors are almost as fast as scsi.

Hello Bullen,

in our catalyst media servers we use two WD Raptor 74GB HD´s in RAID 0 but I didn´t find any time testing it before. May be this helps you and you can make some quick tests with only using these HD´s?
    Chris.

Who advised you to use Raptors?

R

Hello Bullen,

But as you know, I had also problems by using play with ID. Do you try using other ID´s than 1 for "master"? Sorry but I can´t recognize how I´ve solved the problem! Can also be that the problem was still there but I havn´t seen it in the short testing time. I´m sad that I´m not able to test it now again cause of missing G5´s ;-)
    Testing with the Beta, that works fine, I don't think it was a HD problem.

Bullen

Quote Originally Posted by Bullen
    Testing with the Beta, that works fine, I don't think it was a HD problem.

Bullen
    you arent playing back enough layers at the moment to notice the hard drive issues.

The beta uses a slightly different sync algorithm.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    Chris.

Who advised you to use Raptors?

R
    We got our media servers from the Highend distributor in Germany and they I think got their information from Highend in London and there Hugh must be the responsable person!? It was the newest configuration suggestion at the time we bought them.
    I hope that this information was right!?
    Last edited by Chris; 01-04-2004 at 07:56 PM.

We got our media servers from the Highend distributor in Germany and they I think got their information from Highend in London and there Hugh must be the responsable person!? It was the newest configuration suggestion at the time we bought them.
    I hope that this information was right!?
    Raptors are the way to go.

I personally prefer the single disc internal scsi solution because the disc capacity is bigger.

Not sure about whether to put them in a raid array with the system disc on the same disc just yet.
    Mike in austin is still doing some testing.

Performance is definitely better if you dont put the system on the media disc.
    But this only affects 4 simultaneous layers at 25fps....

This is a complex debate.