Thread: Screen Sharing

Screen Sharing

Hi all,

is it true that screen sharing will slow down Catalyst? Was playing back some files on Catalyst and the movies were lagging. Once screen sharing is disabled, the problem disappear.

2. yes - all sharing should be off during a show, screen sharing & files sharing.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

I'm curious - clearly you don't want to be actually connected for file or screen sharing, but do you need to turn these services off in the Sharing system preference pane?

Best

Tim

Does anyone currently have any test results for performance with or without screen and file sharing running? It's a good argument to know exactly how much these impact performance.

I have some preliminary results from when I started using Catalyst but never published or looked deeper. I think it would be a good time for users to provide their feedback on this.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

I've not noticed any performance difference with having screen sharing or file sharing enabled or disabled except when its actually running (obviously).

Most of the time, I have it enabled...

It is also usefull to ensure that spotlight is disabled, by putting all drives connected in to the privacy area - otherwise spotlight tends to index in 'quiet' time (or in between cues....)

S
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

I just ran tests with file sharing and management on. I see a very small difference. The difference is only when there is activity.

Once I disconnect RDP and all file shares, the performance is fine. I even tried to see if I could bog the system down doing index queries from an SSH command line And no hiccups.

I'll still promote turning it all off but unless someone can show results of the performance losses they have seen, I would say it is negligible.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

Seriously- you need to turn both of them off-

it doesnt affect overall performance
    its causes glitchiness on playback-

you dont want anything reading the discs at all while you are playing back movies

file sharing has constant background disc activity - which does affect playback

and screen sharing captures the entire screens and transmits it over the network.
    And quite honestly this is a really bad idea when you are trying to maximise graphics performance

you really really dont want either of these activities going on in shows - ever

Even spotlight needs to be turned off- you dont want the discs being indexed either

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    I've not noticed any performance difference with having screen sharing or file sharing enabled or disabled except when its actually running (obviously).

Most of the time, I have it enabled...

It is also usefull to ensure that spotlight is disabled, by putting all drives connected in to the privacy area - otherwise spotlight tends to index in 'quiet' time (or in between cues....)

S
    yes you need to disable spotlight as well-
    and energy saver settings should never put discs to sleep

Quote Originally Posted by SourceChild View Post
    I just ran tests with file sharing and management on. I see a very small difference. The difference is only when there is activity.

Once I disconnect RDP and all file shares, the performance is fine. I even tried to see if I could bog the system down doing index queries from an SSH command line And no hiccups.

I'll still promote turning it all off but unless someone can show results of the performance losses they have seen, I would say it is negligible.
    you cant measure these things- they are intermittent- you dont want any intermittent activity in any show- shows last for hours- this activity takes place every few minutes.

you want as little background disc activity as possible-
    the disc system is not multithreaded properly and activity on any disc causes stalls and pauses on others-

there is very little time when playing back movies for any disc activity