Thread: getting clean lines in pixel mapping

getting clean lines in pixel mapping

Greetings all... Using a large array of RGBW Led Pars on a tour.
    Making some custom stills to use as bumps and can't figure out what I am doing wrong.... The actual pixel area is 30 x 12 and I've made some tiff files to this exact size. When I put them up in the layer I seem to get some bleed over from pixel to pixel. This is present in the actual pixel map so the pars are not to blame... No matter how I position or scale the files I can't seem to get hard lines. I've tried several color modes. See attached files...

FYI The RGB is mapped to its own mix and set of layers and the W is mapped to its own mix and set of layers as one pixel intensities.

Thanks!

Robb
    Attached Images Attached Images

move...

ooops... this was supposed to go in the pixel mad section of the forums... moooooove me!

I think its your file - and the way you used a pattern overlay effect in photoshop...

See attached test file created in photoshop - it has sharp edges when imported in to catalyst...

Suggest re-making your file

Simon
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk

will give it a try but don't quite understand why a pattern overlay won't work. it's a handy tool for creating these. afterall it's just pixel information, no?

going to try them as .png and .jpegs before I start the task of making pixel by pixel layers in my photoshop file....
    Still don't quite understand why these don't work already, the pixel info is just on and off per pixel, should't have the bleed over.

Robb

Quote Originally Posted by RobbJibson View Post
    going to try them as .png and .jpegs before I start the task of making pixel by pixel layers in my photoshop file....
    Still don't quite understand why these don't work already, the pixel info is just on and off per pixel, should't have the bleed over.

Robb
    if you use the 'flat constant aspect ratio' or full screen mixes and visfx 2 - unity scale - then you get exact pixels-
    otherwise there is always some scaling or offset somewhere in onscreen drawing-

if you arent using these mix types then-
    visfx 8 - movie pixelzoom- turns off some scaling - and you can then then scale in an image and the 'edges dont bleed'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_P View Post
    I think its your file - and the way you used a pattern overlay effect in photoshop...

See attached test file created in photoshop - it has sharp edges when imported in to catalyst...

Suggest re-making your file

Simon
    no i dont think it has anything to do with photoshop

its an graphics scaling thing

Quote Originally Posted by RobbJibson View Post

Robb
    there are several ways to scale an image onscreen

almost all of the time using larger images - people want the image to scale smoothly - so it looks good at zoomed in resolutions - the pixels are interpolated--

when using low resolution images with exact sizes - the opposite is required - no interpolation

visfx2 -unity scale preserves image size and does not interpolate - when used in flat constant aspect ratio mixes.
    visfx8 - turns off image interpolation and so exact pixels are displayed.