Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1080p and 720p playback

1080p and 720p playback

Hi-def playback is possible at 25fps - just - if you render your footage using certain codecs.

Works on a single layer only. With a single raptor or single scsi drive

see

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...read.php?t=183

you need to use the photojpeg codec at 50% quality...
    pixlet doesnt work - its too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    Hi-def playback is possible at 25fps - just - if you render your footage using certain codecs.

Works on a single layer only.

see

http://chaldee1.gotadsl.co.uk/~richa...read.php?t=183

you need to use the photojpeg codec at 50% quality...
    pixlet doesnt work - its too slow.
    mjpeg codec just about works too.

720p works 30fps on 4 drive raptor

Can get full speed with 4 drive raptor array using a variety of codecs, Pixlet at 86, DVCPRO50 comps in AE at 1280x720 best quality, even photo Jpeg.

4 drives make a huge difference.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by litemover
    Can get full speed with 4 drive raptor array using a variety of codecs, Pixlet at 86, DVCPRO50 comps in AE at 1280x720 best quality, even photo Jpeg.

CC
    yes. 4 drives makes a difference - what it does it push the data rate bottleneck down - until it reaches the processor bottleneck.
    The point these converge is dependant on the codec /data rate relationship.

But it isnt going to give you more layers.
    Because the drive latency stays the same - if it doesnt actually get worse.
    A single drive can give better multiple file playback than multiple drives, if the data rate is below a certain threshold

The thing now preventing more layers is processor. - i think.
    I got some more drives yesterday.

CC
    what data rate did you see on your pixlet 86 movie?
    And your photo jpeg files?

R

DVCPRO50 comps in AE at 1280x720
    Christian- i downloaded your dvc pro movie.
    And its as i thought,
    Someone is doing some behind the scenes fiddling.
    Although you can create the movie at 1280x720 with the dvc-pro codec in After Effect ( i did mine in Compressor )
    This isnt whats happening behind the scenes.
    I think the decompressor is taking the movie at 720x480 and then scaling it up to 1280x720 but at playback time.
    The information in the movie is only stored at 720x480.

Using Get Movie Properties in Quicktime player shows that your movie is stored at 720x480.
    I have a pdf capture of the screen that shows this.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Can get full speed with 4 drive raptor array
    CC
    How many firmtek cards did you use?
    I thought they were going to do a 4 port card, but its not on their website.

You used an external self-made case?
    Did you use apple's sata interface as well as the firmtek card?

www.firmtek.com

RE: DVCPRO50 file

That's wierd,

I guess that explains why it was playing back so fast.

Strange, I'll have to do some more tests with this.

Christian Choi

RE: Cards

How many firmtek cards did you use?
    I thought they were going to do a 4 port card, but its not on their website.

You used an external self-made case?
    Did you use apple's sata interface as well as the firmtek card?

www.firmtek.com
    I'm using the APPLE and 1 Firmtek but I think I would get better results with 2 firmteks and bypass the apple.

2 Drives are in the internal bay, 2 are in external enclosures that I modified to be Sata to Sata (this was before they made the sata to sata cases). When I travel with it, I take all the drives out and put them in my carry on bag. I use a PCI slot with a notch just big enough to allow the cables to go through so I don't disturb the airflow within the G5. ITS VERY IMPORTANT TO KEEP YOUR G5 AIRTIGHT. Do not remove the pci slots and allow the cables to dangle or your machine will overheat, especially pushing highdef for long periods of time.

Now that the maxisata internal option is out from Promaxx, I'm going to up to 6 drives, 2 in the apple area, 3 in the maxisata, and 1 in the superdrive area. Take the superdrive out and make it external firewire 800. I think I'm going to try out RAID 5 this time (if it will work) and see what it gives me.

I will put one Firmtek in slot 4 and one in slot 2 then my decklink in slot 3.

Hopefully I will get the time soon.

The firmtek 4 port PCIX 133 version is awaiting fcc emmision tests, they have one, they just haven't released it.

Christian Choi

what data rate did you see on your pixlet 86 movie?
    And your photo jpeg files?

R
    Variable, I have many of them now, they range from 2.6 to 6meg/sec. Most of the ones that I have xtracted with the Heuris extractor from my JVC jyhd10u and encoded with quicktime using pixlet 86 range from 5.5 to 6, some of the HD artbeats clips that I have that were encoded with cleaner are much less 2meg to 3meg. For some strange reason, I cannot use cleaner to convert the MPG movies that Heuris extracts from the M2 files in the camera, all for HD but the results are like watching an I-max Movie when spread across 3 large screens and xy'ed to look as one seemless image.

Some play full speed all the time some fluctuate between full speed down to 28 to 21 to 18 to 31. The Data rates are variable, should I clean them to be non variable?

Here is an image of 1 movie from my JVC HD cam spread across 3 screens to give the illusion of 1 screen
    Christian
    Attached Images Attached Images