Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Mac Pro with Triple Graphic Out

New Mac Pro with Triple Graphic Out

Hey there,

will there be an upgrade to V4 so that with the new ATI 5770/5870 Graphic-Cards which will be installed in the new Mac Pros (available August 2010) it might be possible to output to 3 devices or will it still stay with 2?

Cheers

Marc

shoot.. maybe we will get lucky and apple will pull there head out and adopt the 6 output version of this card.... Then Richard could hate us all for asking for 6 outputs Somehow I doubt it... apple seems very unconcerned with high end graphics solutions for some time now.

I will be keen to see how many layers of HD 1080p it could run. The specs looks very impressive. 12 core!!! Will Catalyst be able to maximise it with the new software?

4. The processor does not do the hard work - the hard drive/graphics card combination are where the server's performance comes from.

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Hi Nev, please educate me as I'm pretty new to the Mac world and Catalyst. I'm assuming 8 core Mac Pro now runs more HD layers than a Quad core. How come the 12 core will not improve the situation?

If I were to buy a new machine now, should I just buy a 8 core machine or should I wait till for the 12 core machine?

Not directly related to cat but this site gives a good insight on cores, ram, ... :

http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html

Quote Originally Posted by NevBull View Post
    The processor does not do the hard work - the hard drive/graphics card combination are where the server's performance comes from.

Nev.
    not true - with recent macs - 2009 - and 10.6.x every core has been useful-

and higher speed macs are able to do more layers-

All movie decoding is done on the cpus-

for hidef the more cpus and faster processors the better.

and movie playback uses as many cpus as are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    Not directly related to cat but this site gives a good insight on cores, ram, ... :

http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html
    not very useful for catalyst

Quote Originally Posted by mlorenz View Post
    Hey there,

will there be an upgrade to V4 so that with the new ATI 5770/5870 Graphic-Cards which will be installed in the new Mac Pros (available August 2010) it might be possible to output to 3 devices or will it still stay with 2?

Cheers

Marc
    using triple heads and dual heads it been possible to do 4-6 outputs since 2005-

so this wont change anything-

i believe the card seems to have 2x pain in the a** mini display ports - for double un-joy.

how this works with triple heads remains unknown- as does pricing and availability.

Quote Originally Posted by foxrider View Post
    Hi Nev, please educate me as I'm pretty new to the Mac world and Catalyst. I'm assuming 8 core Mac Pro now runs more HD layers than a Quad core. How come the 12 core will not improve the situation?

If I were to buy a new machine now, should I just buy a 8 core machine or should I wait till for the 12 core machine?
    who knows. there is not enough information out there- to determine whether the premium pricing will be cost effective-

with 2009 macs it does work better.

on my 2.26GHz 8 core 2009 mac pro with 10.6.x i get 6-8 layers of 1080p ( actual number depends on data rates in movies )