Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Codec performance test

Quote Originally Posted by litemover
    Richard,

Thank you for this very valuable and obviously painstaking information. It must have taken a very long time to compile all of this.

I'm just curious, what was the media you used for this? What clip was it?

Christian Choi
    I automated everything, and had the software write out the results to a tab delimited file.
    ...Im lazy...
    then i imported all the information into excel. Wrote some scripts to order everything correctly, then plotted graphs in Deltagraph.
    Took about 5 days.
    But the results were worth it.
    I now have the ability to benchmark anything really quickly.
    And I built-in the testing to the software - so you can do it if i tell you where its hidden...

---

I used 5 different hi-def 1080p files from Digital juice,
    http://www.digitaljuice.com/products...p?cid=1&pvid=5

i converted them using 'Compressor' to 68 different file formats.
    Compressor is quite good at doing this- and will do 68 output files - into the correct folders - with different sizes and codecs - from a single click....
    http://www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro/compressor.html

i got my copy from buying DVD studio pro.

Quote Originally Posted by mdc1138
    Did you play with any of the settings? Different , journalled or not, etc.
    Take a look at the EX1....

Dual Dual pentiums, 8 drives?

Ask them about performance?
    Danny can give you their contact numbers.

http://www.vlps.com/NorthAmerica/news/vlps_30.phtml

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    I now have the ability to benchmark anything really quickly.
    And I built-in the testing to the software - so you can do it if i tell you where its hidden...
    Sounds good to me! Nevertheless, Great job at figuring all that out. Thank you again.

Christian Choi

Quote Originally Posted by samsc
    Take a look at the EX1....

Dual Dual pentiums, 8 drives?

Ask them about performance?
    Danny can give you their contact numbers.
    Does Danny work for them now or something? Looks interesting but only3 movie layers and 2 adjustment layers? The media window on the DX2 does rock though. Having the ability to automatically index your files into thumbnails onto a touchscreen with all the playmodes on it sure does beat building palettes.

I'm very interested in quality of playback, particularly of Hidef. Not to be honest or anything, but I never use the 3d effects, even in Catalyst. I suppose I would if I needed to wrap them around a 3d opbject just to get them to read tangiably. So far, I haven't needed to use them. I barely have enough time to push video out let alone light layers and worry about rotating stuff around though, I suppose this could make for some very interesting effects that can't be done via video, if you explored the possibilities and had the time to really dive into it.

Christian Choi

Quote Originally Posted by litemover
    Does Danny work for them now or something?Christian Choi
    Danny is still at highend. Danny knows the team at VLPS.

I never use 3d either - i think it very cheesy unless it rendered with great skill.
    And the 3d artists- have phonemenal tools available to them these days.

Dodgy 3d in real time just isnt going to cut it- when you are competing with stuff rendered in Maya or whatever.

Peoples expectations of 3d these days- are way too high. They dont understand the countless hours and days of rendering required in the production process to make their stuff look good.
    Its the same for video too.
    Making video look professional is a shit load of work.

Christian,

The thumbnail thing on the EX-1/ DX2 was actually developed for Catalyst Media Servers ;-). You have to have the same content on the DX2 Mac as you do on the EX-1.

I saw the EX-1 running with 3 3d objects and a artbeats movie behind. The performance was not good. The movie was playing at around 15 fps... I noticed this at their demo.

I was under the impression that the EX-1 spare media server was just that. Or for doing dual output stuff.

The problem with the EX-1 is you could spend all your programming time just lighting your 3D objects - which you could do in Maya or any other 3d package.

Zillions of DMX channels.

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Spam Butterfly
    The problem with the EX-1 is you could spend all your programming time just lighting your 3D objects - which you could do in Maya or any other 3d package.

Hugh
    and nowhere near as good.
    opengl or directx shading and lighting is nowhere near good enough to compete with maya renders or even any low end 3d program.
    unless its raytraced its never going to be good enough.

soft-shadows?
    transparency?
    artistic lighting?
    I dont think so.

the moment you hit this sort of complexity its back to the 3d program for decent looking fx, at which point its pointless having 3d controllable from dmx.

except for textures and movement and visual complexity - which is how it works in pixelmad.