Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is SDI on the horizon?

yes I understand the EDID stuff, thanks... the non integer part etc......

Thanks for the link... great info. Perhaps one could use the timings table to construct a resolution with the desired refresh via a parrot using this info.

I have a Black Magic Design DVI Extender and it works great if you are doing broadcast resolutions/refresh rates:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/dviextender/

I barely see any latency with this thing.
    Andrew Atienza

Fx Production Services
    http://www.fx-ps.com

have you used this while using video capture and been able to keep our playback of video capture smooth? wont work when I need DVI at broadcast rates but could come in handy in other situations

I haven't used it while also doing video capture, so I can't speak to that.

Cheers,
    Andrew Atienza

Fx Production Services
    http://www.fx-ps.com

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    I don't think i was clear. In the dvi parrot you cannot enter a non integer number.
    You'd be surprised how easy it is for a manufacturer to change firmware and control software. If you ask them add higher resolution control to the refresh rate settings they might.

The bottom line though is that no two TV refresh rates are the same. Hence the need for "Genlock."

The only way a computer will be able to perfectly sync with a video system is if someone creates a device that can GENLOCK the computer to a specific refresh rate. However, this is a train wreck waiting to happen considering the way that a GPU cluster functions.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

well lets talk about other media server for a second... shutter to think! I havent much experience with some of the other servers when it comes to video input... do they all suffer from this?

Have you found a decent solution to this? You seem to use video input quite alot.. I would much appreciate your input.

This is a very sticky subject. Yes. All software based video capture IE media servers will suffer some sort of artifacts from time to time.

I have used video input alot. However, I don't always care for it.

When I've dealt with video companies that are used to the standard way of doing IMAG they always fuss about the fact that it looks choppy and there's a delay. In most cases for RAW IMAG I agree and opt for a Spyder or Encore for the screens or LED which are specifically getting the IMAG.

However, Catalyst is absolutely amazing with the color and visual effects it can perform. It's also amazing to have floating windows of images moving dynamically. Granted this can be done on a nice multi-ME switcher that has several keys and dve but Catalyst is much more artistic and much faster.

I think as a creative tool the video capture into Catalyst is amazing and I will even exploit the frame offsets as a manner to make the IMAG look like it has more Cinematic.

The bottom line though is that any media server which is using software to process IMAG captured a video will see some (even if subtle) artifacts.

There's a reason image processors are still so freaking expensive.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

thanks for that reply.... I look forward to the day this is a non issue!... I am certain it is possible with present technology... just need to get it done!