Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is SDI on the horizon?

I am working with the Blackmagic DVI-HDSDI boxes this week I will report back.. I have heard they are good mind.

Phil

Philip G Haynes
    Live Visual Design and Direction

Thanks for responding Nev!
    so you propose that the cards in question could work for say single video streams per output but not all the layering and such that we do as a result of lack of gpu power? Or lack of opengl perhaps? would make sense by physical appearance alone just about, no heat sinks, no fans...

Surely we can find or create a solution in this area. Am I the only one that thinks this would be a huge help for us?

Nev: Have you any experience with the DVI PARROT?

3. Hiya

I am not proposing anything! Without knowing anything about these cards apart from a basic spec on a website - it's impossible to know if they can be used.

Yes - I have used the Parrots on several shows now, and keep one in my bag instead of the old DVI Detective. They are much more useful!

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Thanks for the replay Nev... about the Parrot... I have been wondering if the parrot could force a very specific frame rate.. ie, 59.94hz as opposed to some variant of 60hz? the documentation seemed somewhat inconclusive. If I can get my output to stick at 59.94 I think my life may get much better... thanks for your time Nev.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    Thanks for the replay Nev... about the Parrot... I have been wondering if the parrot could force a very specific frame rate.. ie, 59.94hz as opposed to some variant of 60hz? the documentation seemed somewhat inconclusive. If I can get my output to stick at 59.94 I think my life may get much better... thanks for your time Nev.
    ask the manufacturers.

I actually just got a response from them. They said you could input a specific resolution but by working with the software again there is a limit to this. IE you cannot do anything beyond an integer. So 50, 60.. but no 59.94 etc. You boys over in Europe must have alot fewer issues than those of us runnin ntsc...
    Last edited by ajmaudio; 07-07-2010 at 04:34 AM.

I actually just got a response from them. They said you could input a specific resolution but by working with the software again there is a limit to this. IE you cannot do anything beyond an integer. So 50, 60.. but no 59.94 etc. You boys over in Europe must have alot fewer issues than those of us runnin ntsc...
    You cannot do anything beyond an integer-
    this is not true- the opposite is true-

none of the exact timings are integers.

---

also i believe i see 59.94 when i connect my latest mac mini to a screen using hmdi

and i believe my Kona LHi card shows non integer values including 29.97 for the hmdi output.

aja control panel image attached shows 29.97 on hdmi input and output- from my 5dMk2 camera... in NTSC mode
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was under the impression that the sdi outputs available on cards such as the decklink cards where not suitable as an output from catalyst as they are not opengl and can cause issues. None of these cards that I have found appear to be useful as the primary output for a catalyst machine. Please tell me if I am missing something.
    these cards do not do graphics processing.

---
    the output refresh rate is an edid thing -

Quote Originally Posted by samsc View Post
    this is not true- the opposite is true-

none of the exact timings are integers.

---

also i believe i see 59.94 when i connect my latest mac mini to a screen using hmdi

and i believe my Kona LHi card shows non integer values including 29.97 for the hmdi output.

aja control panel image attached shows 29.97 on hdmi input and output- from my 5dMk2 camera... in NTSC mode
    Sorry for the delay in getting to this post. I don't think i was clear. In the dvi parrot you cannot enter a non integer number. Does this mean that it will actually give you an integer refresh rate.. I suspect not. So to be clear you can type in 59 but not 59.94 when specifying a refresh rate. Even if you could I am not sure it would work. As to your hdmi stuff working thats good to know but as you certainly know we dont interface using hdmi all that often.. well at least I dont. Honestly I feel like the stupid guy in class or something haha. I cant tell if the reason I dont see more discussion of this topic is because not many people use catalyst this way or if I am just the only one that can't resolve this issue. I have never plugged into any device that can net me a refresh rate that will solve my jumpy video problem. What am I missing? haha.

On a side note I was curious if this issue is common among all servers or if this is perhaps a result of your desire to have exceedingly low latency and thus little or no use of a buffer or whatever it would take to make this a non issue.

I guess when you use video input like this in say an edit suite the edit suite buffers it or what not so that your view in the edit suit is smooth? I guess I should have kept taking those programming courses back in school so I could have all the answers... I hate not knowing

EDID works from the monitor to the computer -
    and all refresh rates are in reality non-integers- there are no exact integer refresh rates- 60Hz is 60.02 and 75Hz is 75.03 at common screen sizes

i havent used parrot software-

---

on tv frame rates and EDID

the EIA-861B standard seems to define tv rates for EDID

apparently he document which defines this is here:

http://www.ent.eet-china.com/PDF/200...URCES=DOWNLOAD

Sorry for the delay in getting to this post. I don't think i was clear. In the dvi parrot you cannot enter a non integer number. Does this mean that it will actually give you an integer refresh rate.. I suspect not. So to be clear you can type in 59 but not 59.94 when specifying a refresh rate. Even if you could I am not sure it would work. As to your hdmi stuff working thats good to know but as you certainly know we dont interface using hdmi all that often.. well at least I dont. Honestly I feel like the stupid guy in class or something haha.