Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is SDI on the horizon?

Hybrid View

1. I would guess by the lack of "Yes" responses, we are still in the same situation! These cards have never been capable of processing the multiple streams of video that we demand.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

I am working with the Blackmagic DVI-HDSDI boxes this week I will report back.. I have heard they are good mind.

Phil

Philip G Haynes
    Live Visual Design and Direction

Thanks for responding Nev!
    so you propose that the cards in question could work for say single video streams per output but not all the layering and such that we do as a result of lack of gpu power? Or lack of opengl perhaps? would make sense by physical appearance alone just about, no heat sinks, no fans...

Surely we can find or create a solution in this area. Am I the only one that thinks this would be a huge help for us?

Nev: Have you any experience with the DVI PARROT?

4. Hiya

I am not proposing anything! Without knowing anything about these cards apart from a basic spec on a website - it's impossible to know if they can be used.

Yes - I have used the Parrots on several shows now, and keep one in my bag instead of the old DVI Detective. They are much more useful!

Nev.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk

Thanks for the replay Nev... about the Parrot... I have been wondering if the parrot could force a very specific frame rate.. ie, 59.94hz as opposed to some variant of 60hz? the documentation seemed somewhat inconclusive. If I can get my output to stick at 59.94 I think my life may get much better... thanks for your time Nev.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    Thanks for the replay Nev... about the Parrot... I have been wondering if the parrot could force a very specific frame rate.. ie, 59.94hz as opposed to some variant of 60hz? the documentation seemed somewhat inconclusive. If I can get my output to stick at 59.94 I think my life may get much better... thanks for your time Nev.
    ask the manufacturers.

I actually just got a response from them. They said you could input a specific resolution but by working with the software again there is a limit to this. IE you cannot do anything beyond an integer. So 50, 60.. but no 59.94 etc. You boys over in Europe must have alot fewer issues than those of us runnin ntsc...
    Last edited by ajmaudio; 07-07-2010 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    I actually just got a response from them. They said you could input a specific resolution but by working with the software again there is a limit to this. IE you cannot do anything beyond an integer. So 50, 60.. but no 59.94 etc. You boys over in Europe must have alot fewer issues than those of us runnin ntsc...
    You cannot do anything beyond an integer-
    this is not true- the opposite is true-

none of the exact timings are integers.

---

also i believe i see 59.94 when i connect my latest mac mini to a screen using hmdi

and i believe my Kona LHi card shows non integer values including 29.97 for the hmdi output.

aja control panel image attached shows 29.97 on hdmi input and output- from my 5dMk2 camera... in NTSC mode
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a Black Magic Design DVI Extender and it works great if you are doing broadcast resolutions/refresh rates:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/dviextender/

I barely see any latency with this thing.
    Andrew Atienza

Fx Production Services
    http://www.fx-ps.com

have you used this while using video capture and been able to keep our playback of video capture smooth? wont work when I need DVI at broadcast rates but could come in handy in other situations