Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is SDI on the horizon?

Is SDI on the horizon?

I have been searching high and low for a an actual graphics card with sdi output that has mac support with no success. Pc users have several to choose from but nobody seems to want to even approach the mac platform. what will it take to get this to happen? You would think with a fair amount of macs in the broadcast/video editing world that someone could make money doing this. Have I missed something? Is there something out there??? Is someone working on it? It would seem that this would solve many problems and greatly expand our flexibility with catalyst.

these tick all the boxes:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/dviextender/

just not a card.

Phil

Philip G Haynes
    Live Visual Design and Direction

Yes there are several dvi to sdi solutions out there but none of them can accomplish one thing.... bring broadcast "refresh" rates into the computer domain. This would, at least in theory, solve some difficult problems. However, since ou brought up that particular box, have you used it?

http://www.matrox.com/video/es/press..._multi_io_mac/

I would also like to bring this card up again as its supposed to be shipping now.... I have no idea if it supports opengl. Has anyone got any info on this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    Yes there are several dvi to sdi solutions out there but none of them can accomplish one thing.... bring broadcast "refresh" rates into the computer domain. This would, at least in theory, solve some difficult problems. However, since ou brought up that particular box, have you used it?
    the "broadcast" refresh thing is an edid thing - the output device tells the computer what refresh rate and screen settings to use

you need to try something like this

http://www.dviparrot.com/

things like image pros also usually do the right thing when they send edid settings to the mac

Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
    http://www.matrox.com/video/es/press..._multi_io_mac/

I would also like to bring this card up again as its supposed to be shipping now.... I have no idea if it supports opengl. Has anyone got any info on this thing?
    these are a variation of capture cards and input/output cards-

you can do this with decklink and aja cards-

I was under the impression that the sdi outputs available on cards such as the decklink cards where not suitable as an output from catalyst as they are not opengl and can cause issues. None of these cards that I have found appear to be useful as the primary output for a catalyst machine. Please tell me if I am missing something.

no reply to my last anyone?

I know I had read posts from the past stating that using the sdi outs on such cards was a nono. Has this changed?

10. I would guess by the lack of "Yes" responses, we are still in the same situation! These cards have never been capable of processing the multiple streams of video that we demand.
    Nev Bull
    Pixels Plus Limited
    Digital Video Services

Catalyst Software - Upgrades - Server Hardware - Accessories - Training - Support

t: +44 (0)1494 858151
    e: nev@pixelsplus.co.uk
    w: www.pixelsplus.co.uk