Thread: Citp

Hybrid View

Yeah, i agree with Simon. I recently programmed a shopw with a lot of video using an output from catalyst into Wysiwyg, i had to use a capture card and the whole process was a bit of a pain in the ass, CITP would be very useful if implemented and this again is something that would be turned on for previsualisation / selling to the client and could be turned off during the real "gig" , Other lesser media servers are quickly catching up with processing power, multiple outputs and some features exceeding catalyst like pixel blend ( when slowing down clips) Catalyst is somewhat elitist as a media server as there are few that know how it works and how to get the most out of all the features. I've spent quite a while getting my head around everything it does and getting the best of these features. I've crawled forums to get a better picture for best setup / ways of achieving certain things. I've invested a lot of money in a decent server / ssd / flight case etc. I've pushed catalyst over other media servers , i've trained people to get them interested, get them hiring the equipment and still there is a huge lack of documentation
    / knowledge base available to the newcomer to learn. So when something like CITP comes along i dont think a refusal to implement it is fair, i think its a given if Catalyst is to stay ahead...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Murray View Post
    Other lesser media servers are quickly catching up with processing power, multiple outputs and some features exceeding catalyst like pixel blend ( when slowing down clips)
    There is some progress here... ask Richard for a 'custom / beta' version... a number of people have been testing it.

Catalyst is somewhat elitist as a media server as there are few that know how it works and how to get the most out of all the features. I've spent quite a while getting my head around everything it does and getting the best of these features. I've crawled forums to get a better picture for best setup / ways of achieving certain things.

I've invested a lot of money in a decent server / ssd / flight case etc. I've pushed catalyst over other media servers , i've trained people to get them interested, get them hiring the equipment and still there is a huge lack of documentation / knowledge base available to the newcomer to learn.
    Documentation is a BIG issue....
    It takes ages to write it - then its quickly out of date...
    HOWEVER - it has to be done.
    Even if someone is 'employed' to write it....

So when something like CITP comes along i dont think a refusal to implement it is fair, i think its a given if Catalyst is to stay ahead...........
    New features take time to implement and test thoroughly -

The release version (m257) of Catalyst is a stable and reliable piece of software.

Stability and reliability takes time....
    Simon Pugsley

SNP Productions Ltd. (UK)
    Lighting & Video Control Solutions
    Catalyst|Sales|Hire|Training|Support
    Catalyst Dealer UK Europe & Worldwide...

Office: +44 (0)1908 410129
    Mobile: +44 (0)7958 390034
    simon@snp-productions.co.uk
    www.snp-productions.co.uk