Thread: Tricking Plasma Displays Into thinking there is still a valid signal

Tricking Plasma Displays Into thinking there is still a valid signal

Hello All,
    Not a catalyst question I know, but hopefully someone can help me.
    I'm in technical rehearsals -in fact previews at the moment and have the following problem;
    I have a very cheap domestic plasma on stage, chosen for its overall "look".
    It gets its feed from a TH2GO (analogue) via a VGA to HDMI converter (it only has HDMI ports)
    I have an intermittent fault where the plasma will loose signal very momentary, a very brief drop out. The problem is that when it regains the signal it brings up an on screen display to show you what resolution it is getting -and I cant turn it off.

Does anyone know of a device that will trick the plasma into thinking it has a valid HDMI signal when the signal is lost?

Obviously I will try and fix the fault, but this takes time. Having something there to stop the OSD coming up would be an immediate solution whilst I trace where the drop out is coming from.

Thanks
    Paul
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert

I would suggest using a TH2G digital and just use an adaptor cable from DVI to HDMI... The TH2G supoports 2 x 1920x1080 @60Hz that should be understood by the "domestic use" plasma screen...
    Olli
    ------
    Oliver Ranft, Aachen, Germany

If it's a noise issue, you might try humbucking the VGA lines. Maybe a VDA.
    SourceChild
    TODD SCRUTCHFIELD

...if it ain't broke...
    gimme 5 and then don't act surprised

thats a good idea unless the cable length required is very long- which it probably is as its theatre-

hdmi and dvi can be used almost interchangeably ( almost - but not quite )

Quote Originally Posted by OlliR View Post
    I would suggest using a TH2G digital and just use an adaptor cable from DVI to HDMI... The TH2G supoports 2 x 1920x1080 @60Hz that should be understood by the "domestic use" plasma screen...

the vga cable is long or short?

the hdmi cable long or short?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Hello All,
    Not a catalyst question I know, but hopefully someone can help me.
    I'm in technical rehearsals -in fact previews at the moment and have the following problem;
    I have a very cheap domestic plasma on stage, chosen for its overall "look".
    It gets its feed from a TH2GO (analogue) via a VGA to HDMI converter (it only has HDMI ports)
    I have an intermittent fault where the plasma will loose signal very momentary, a very brief drop out. The problem is that when it regains the signal it brings up an on screen display to show you what resolution it is getting -and I cant turn it off.

Does anyone know of a device that will trick the plasma into thinking it has a valid HDMI signal when the signal is lost?

Obviously I will try and fix the fault, but this takes time. Having something there to stop the OSD coming up would be an immediate solution whilst I trace where the drop out is coming from.

Thanks
    Paul

Thanks for your replies.

I thought about the digital TH2GO road but the racks were in the basement so cable lenght would have been an issue.

We managed to make it work in the end. we were using cat 5 extenders to do the run from the basement to stage and then vga loom from the cat 5 recievers to a VGA to HDMI converter. The problem was that the cat 5 recievers would intermittantly drop out for half a second due to the long bit of VGA between them and the VGA-HDMI converter. A VGA boost solved the problem.

Thanks again
    Paul Kenah
    Catalyst Expert