Quote Originally Posted by ajmaudio View Post
on a side note... if you wanted to take the time to explain precisely how that few seconds of jittery video happens I would love to hear it from you Richard. The concept is simple enough however I am curious as to what happens with the buffers or whatever it is at that precise time. Understanding is power
first of all we need to do some experiments by changing some settings-
there are many different possibilities - sometimes unexpected -

in this situation there isnt usually a technically correct answer -
we have to try to find the best visual solution by changing graphics card settings and catalyst playback rates-

I made these settings available because these situations arise a lot.
and we have to find the best solutions-

i have a lot of situations where the timecode is 25Hz- but the screens only run at 60Hz- for example with element labs controllers used in europe-

sometime the client has to sync to external source without timecode available and the external source runs a little fast or a little slow-

sometimes the frame rates - screen outputs and timecode are all mixed up and cannot be changed...

sometimes projectors really dont like working at 75Hz- only work at 60Hz - but show is at 25FPS... eurovision 2004

i had a show last year with martin lc panels- and they took really strange input rates- i cant remember exactly- but completely non-standard - and the show was run from a laptop- and laptops have refresh rates you cannot change....
and on and on...

----

a very quick technical metaphor is this-

you have 2 conveyor belts running side by side- they have fixed bucket positions- they are not continuous belts- one can transport 899 cabbages per minute- and the other runs slightly faster at 900 cabbages per minute-
how do you get the cabbages from one conveyor belt to the other?
what happens if you cannot exactly or precisely measure the positions of the cabbages?
what happens if the rate of the conveyors changes slightly all the time?
or the positon has some mechanical hysteresis in it?